Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
How do you decide when it's time to drop a book from the pull list? Options
kevscomics
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:27:38 AM

Groups: Member, Subscriber, Super Seller

I am trying to trim down my pull list this month, How do you decide when it is time to drop a book?, I am dropping a bunch of Marvel titles this month, I got in on pretty much everything that rebooted with a Marvel Now #1, but I am mostly and Indy guy, with Walking Dead, Chew, Saga, Locke and Key being probably my top 4 titles. For me though, it's tough to make the decision not to stick with something I have started, especially, when it's like $3 or $4 to get the next issue...

Just wondering, how do you guys decide to drop a title, Thanks
comicscastle
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:32:14 AM

Groups: Approver, Approver Steward, CR-Management, Forum Admin, Grade My Book Host, Guru, History Host, Member, Super Seller, Tool

Shop at My Store

kevscomics wrote:
I am trying to trim down my pull list this month, How do you decide when it is time to drop a book?, I am dropping a bunch of Marvel titles this month, I got in on pretty much everything that rebooted with a Marvel Now #1, but I am mostly and Indy guy, with Walking Dead, Chew, Saga, Locke and Key being probably my top 4 titles. For me though, it's tough to make the decision not to stick with something I have started, especially, when it's like $3 or $4 to get the next issue...

I never drop a title. I buy everything and then decide later what I actually want to read.

The following stores are all stores that I've dealt with or have become friends with through the forums and I highly recommend them all.
Comics Castle-owned & operated by Pat McCauslin
Alpha Comics--ComicVortex--Metropolis Connections 2.0--Comic Cellar

Thundercron
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:49:54 AM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

comicscastle wrote:
kevscomics wrote:

I never drop a title. I buy everything and then decide later what I actually want to read.

Yep, it's swell to be Pat. But for the rest of us with things like budgets to follow, here's my two cents:

Most comic shops that offer pull boxes don't *force* you to pick up everything in your box every time you come in. So when you start noticing that you tend to put a certain book back in the box, and that it takes you longer and longer to actually buy it (whether it's because of finances or lack of interest)--then I would say it's time to drop the title.

Most comic shops around where I live allow you to abruptly drop a book from your box; however, I understand that other shops obligate you to buy the book for the two months in advance that the shop pre-orders them for you. So something else to anticipate, I guess.
padreglcc
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:51:30 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

For me, if I buy books but don't get around to reading them in a few months, I know it's time to drop. I currently have 3 issues of a particular title in my "to read" stack on the coffee table. Since it's been 3 months since I've read an issue of the title, it's probably time to let it go... it's obviously not holding my attention anymore.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
kevscomics
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:29:12 AM

comicscastle wrote:
kevscomics wrote:

Pretty good idea, considering I subscribe with you, hahaha

Yeah, all good advice, that's kind of what I was feeling...I personally hate to wait a month of two weeks for the next segment of the story...I mean I would much rather buy/read a complete run of something that happened in say 2008 as opposed to waiting each month for something happening now, of course I also want to stay in the "know" about what's going on...But, yeah, I am trimming a bunch of the current Marvel stuff this month...Adding some of the new Superman books that are starting up as well as giving pretty much everything image comes out with a try...
ocphil
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 2:50:27 AM

Groups: Member

If you don't read by the weekend it's time to drop it.
aaus
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 7:28:50 AM

If I read an issue only once before the next issue comes out, I think it's time to let it go.

“Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.”
padreglcc
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 9:24:42 AM

Groups: Approver, CR-Guidelines, CR-Management, DC Host, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, New Releases Host, Reviews Host, Subscriber

aaus wrote:
If I read an issue only once before the next issue comes out, I think it's time to let it go.

I only read issues once before bagging, boarding, and putting them away.

“One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say.” ~ Bryant H. McGill

Please make sure you read and understand the Forum Rules here.
kevscomics
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 9:32:21 AM

padreglcc wrote:
aaus wrote:

I only read issues once before bagging, boarding, and putting them away.

Yeah, me 2, I rarely read things twice, unless it's a situation where I read a # 1, like it, and then wait a while before picking up the rest of series, I will reread 1 in that case. For me, I think if I am thinking about dropping a title, it's probably time to drop it. I appreciate all the advice/opinions.
fenix1977
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 3:35:29 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

If a books gets to the point for me that I even consider dropping it then it is probably time for it to hit the bricks.

Mad Bloggings

4saken1
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 7:07:39 PM

Shop at My Store

A comic has to be pretty bad for me to drop it. Right now, I'm getting close to 90 titles. Usually, when I notice that a comic just isn't doing anything for me, I'll give it a couple more issues to pick up before I give it the ax.

The two most recent titles that I've given up on are Morning Glories and Jennifer Blood.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

Thundercron
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 7:29:06 PM

Shop at My Store

4saken1 wrote:
A comic has to be pretty bad for me to drop it. Right now, I'm getting close to 90 titles. Usually, when I notice that a comic just isn't doing anything for me, I'll give it a couple more issues to pick up before I give it the ax.

The two most recent titles that I've given up on are Morning Glories and Jennifer Blood.

I think this sentiment is lost on most collectors today (to be fair, it's probably due to the high cover price of new books). Back in the day, collectors used to have more loyalty to their favorite characters, and they would endure some pretty horrible storylines. They would let letters to the publisher express their displeasure, while at the same time still buying the book.

Nowadays, collectors will drop books very easily--sometimes with just the announcement of a new creative team, without even giving them a chance.
ukblueky
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 8:06:26 PM

I drop a book when it is no longer enjoyable to read. When I look at a title as more of a chore than a pleasure its time to let go.

kisstour03
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 6:36:31 PM

I'm in a bit of the same boat. I'm trying to trim down the list for financial reasons. But am having no luck. I'm enjoying everything I'm reading right now. And there's a few new titles coming out in the next few months I'll want to check out too. I guess it'll have to be like ripping off a band aid. Do it fast and don't think about it.
freakdylan
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2013 9:32:32 PM

I never drop anything, but I am lucky I only buy Spiderman comics so is cheap (except for that whole #700 and superior #1 variant extravaganza) and if story sucks can deal for a while till it gets better, lol.

Now that being said, I always have to remind myself NOT to buy or add anything else to my pull list for the simple reason it takes away form back issue money. Having a pull list of 90 comics would kill my ability to get those old Amazing spidermans I so dearly want to hide away in my closet.

By keeping a short pull list of under 10 comics I can afford to drop $300-400 a month on back issues instead of new comics that will probably never be worth more then the cover price.

Thanks to the following sellers for helping me put together my complete run of Amazing Spider-man #1-700

ComicCastle
TreeHouse
Hall Of Heroes
Thundercron's Longbox
DrumCzar

Now for the sellers helping me finish my TMNT collection:

Hall Of Heroes
Green Bay Comics

rook68
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:15:23 AM

I hate dropping a title but when the story sucks after reading 2 or 3 consecutive issues. It's time to drop. I hate spending money on bad art and bad story. Admittedly, if the story gets good again. I buy that issue and everything in between. I am a sucker like that.

(referring to an original comic book piece) This is a art gallery my friend and THIS is a piece of art.

Elijah Price "Unbreakable"
played by Samuel L. Jackson

kisstour03
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2013 4:07:09 PM

And also if I consistently forget what the story is in a book from one month to the next. It's a sign to me that the book isn't that great.