Buying Comics And Stuff
Selling Your Comics
Opening A Store
Community
Forum
Store Locator
Member Locator
Welcome Guest Active Topics
Poll Question: Where do you get your comics?
Choice Votes Statistics
Local comic book store. 253 72%
Mail subscription. 37 10%
Online. 61 17%

Where do you get your comics? Options
fenix1977
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 1:34:34 PM

Groups: Member, Subscriber

I wanna change my vote from LCS to online..because it is now hit or miss at the LCS. I normally end up getting my books on here now.

Mad Bloggings

inhumanking
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 2:47:39 PM

Groups: Member

danscomics wrote:
inhumanking wrote:
danscomics wrote:
I can't believe a comic shop would do that.

tell me you're joking... sarcasm, right?

No, I'm not joking. I'm not saying I don't believe the story, I'm just saying that as an exclamation of surprise. These types of horror stories about any small shop surprise and disgust me.

small shops... large shops... these stories definitely disgust, but nothing surprises me anymore. after the "i can't believe" portion of your statement, i was pegging you as naive; and yes, i'm cynical, but not too much to admit that pleasant experiences are out there too.
danscomics
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 3:21:42 PM

Groups: Member, Super Seller

Shop at My Store

inhumanking wrote:
danscomics wrote:
inhumanking wrote:
danscomics wrote:
I can't believe a comic shop would do that.

tell me you're joking... sarcasm, right?

No, I'm not joking. I'm not saying I don't believe the story, I'm just saying that as an exclamation of surprise. These types of horror stories about any small shop surprise and disgust me.

small shops... large shops... these stories definitely disgust, but nothing surprises me anymore. after the "i can't believe" portion of your statement, i was pegging you as naive; and yes, i'm cynical, but not too much to admit that pleasant experiences are out there too.

Sorry, rereading my post I could see how you could misinterpret my statement. It's one of those times that having tone of voice would have made it clear what I was saying. I'm not naive, just surprised and disgusted as I said. And when I said small shop, I really just meant any shop that isn't a big box retailer like Walmart and Best Buy. I expect a certain amount of heartlessness at those places because they can afford to drive customers off.

Anyway, yeah, I'm sure for every horrible story on here, I'm sure that there are a number of good ones that we aren't hearing. Unfortunately these horrible comic shops are driving people onto the internet and in turn negatively affecting those good shops. I actually started a thread on another forum asking for suggestions on what makes a comic shop good just so I could try to implement them in my new shop and try to win some people back to shopping in physical stores.

Don't miss out on our Comic Collector's Club Subscription Service. Free Previews, everything comes bagged and boarded, and a minimum of 25% off all items ordered. We also offer free shipping to subscribers that reach certain totals (the amount changes depending on shipping frequency). Plus we are happy to add in back issues and do our best to fill all special requests. Just drop me a message if you are interested.
hedgeknight
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:39:28 AM

We have two comic book stores in town (Wilmington, NC) and both have great customer service. For new or recently released books (and other stuff), if they don't have it, they will order it for you. And they have sales and run discounts all the time. Good people; I support both stores.

But, there are a couple of things that frustrate the crap out of me. In one store, if they received slightly damaged books, they put the books on the shelf (or in your box) and expect full price for them. Don't like this at all.
In the other store, they bag and board all of their books before putting them on the shelf. That's great if you want a nice clean untouched book. But...you can't look through prospective books to see if you really want to buy it.

So, both stores have their pros and cons, but it's the owners that run the stores that keep me coming back. They are super nice and great to work with.

I imagine much is the same for those who get their comics from CCL...yes?

Winter is coming...
dunleavy75
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:02:39 PM

I've gotta say that waiting 2-3 days (max) to get my stuff from Pat is well worth not putting up with gas prices, ignorant clerks, etc., and he can get pretty much anything as well at 35% off for most books.

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
mrhaddock
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:42:34 AM

The unfortunate side to my tale is i would much prefer to support my lcs i really would, but the one i was going to was an hours drive away and the guys who worked there were awsome, granted they never gave me any discounts or free stuff and as i said i new i was paying a premium for my stuff, but i enjoyed going the guys were great and it was always fun catching up with other people who shared my hobby, most of my friends don't understand it and as such don't want to know about it.
I'm not sure what happened with my lcs not sure if they were just angry that i was down sizing my order, i mean if i was running a small shop and was about to loose a customer that was spending close to if not more then $500 a month ( was making good money and had no kids at the time:D) i would be a little miffed to but i did go back a month later to redo my pull list thinking they would have calmed down but nope still the same attitude so well here i am.
On the upside i do intend to check out some of the sellers here am happy for any recomendations of stores to visit. living in Australia i am limited with people who are willing to post here
anyway i have ranted long enough :D
SEGAboy09
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 5:39:32 PM

80% in my local comic shop. 20% online, on CCL for getting back issues my shop didnt have
BurningDoom
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 6:11:37 PM

Groups: Beta, Guru, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, TV Host

SEGAboy09 wrote:
80% in my local comic shop. 20% online, on CCL for getting back issues my shop didnt have

This. But I haven't been buying a lot of back-issues lately. Been barely making it paycheck to paycheck as of late.

***CHECK OUT MY COMIC TRADING LIST, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE VIDEO GAMES WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

***TRADE COMIC CARDS WITH ME, CLICK HERE***

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
roguesquad
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 6:42:47 PM

I only have 1 more week left going to my LCS. I switched to DCBS. I feel bad about it but I have to face reality. In order to keep my hobby, I can't afford to pay retail anymore. It sucks because the guy is really good to me and has let me try titles for free before. But 40% off is hard to ignore. I do still plan on going there to buy supplies and shoot the breeze though.

All That I Need Are Things I Don't Need.
patn2008
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 7:19:01 PM

new books Darkside Comics here in Bakersfield. Was getting back issues From CuriousGoodsNComics until some Jackhole started crying and screwed it up for others Angry
Atilla2k
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 8:58:50 PM

Groups: Approver, Member, Subscriber

33% from my LCS- Main Street Comics, Middletown NY

33% from Marvel/DC Company Subscriptions

33% from on-line retailers like mycomicshop.com, midtowncomics.com, milehighcomics.com...etc...etc

1% Back Issues from CCL

ukblueky
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 10:07:45 PM

100% of all my comics(new and back issues) come directly from sellers on CCL.
I buy back issues from any seller on CCL that has the best price.For new issues I buy from Finar Comics,Chamber Of Comics,and Curious Goods and Comics.
I would recommend any of these guys any day of the week.

Moeman
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 8:13:53 PM

I use a local comic shop (Titan Games and Comics) for 100% of my new purchaces. If there is one thing I have found, it is that you have to influence the shop to make it as good as possible. Talk to the shop owners, attend the events, and make yourself heard. As someone who gets 40 to 60 new titles a month, they definitely listen to my opinions (and even solicit them on occasion) because they can't afford to lose the business!
CuriousGoodsNComics
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 4:16:01 AM

patn2008 wrote:
new books Darkside Comics here in Bakersfield. Was getting back issues From CuriousGoodsNComics until some Jackhole started crying and screwed it up for others Angry

Rolling on the Floor

should be better now we got rid of the excess baggage lol
TheComicStore
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 4:19:32 PM

Shop at My Store

ukblueky wrote:
100% of all my comics(new and back issues) come directly from sellers on CCL.
I buy back issues from any seller on CCL that has the best price.For new issues I buy from Finar Comics,Chamber Of Comics,and Curious Goods and Comics.
I would recommend any of these guys any day of the week.

Do you take the cost of shipping into this or do you decide strictly by the price of the book?

Top Rated Seller on eBay!

Comic Book Crusade
Geek Chic Comics
Comic Collecting
4saken1
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 8:57:49 PM

Shop at My Store

TheComicStore wrote:
Do you take the cost of shipping into this or do you decide strictly by the price of the book?

I'm kinda the same as ukblueky on this. Shipping is always a consideration. I look for stores that have a 'Free Shipping' option and try to refrain from buying comics that they have from somebody else if their prices can't be beat until they have enough comics from my WishList to qualify for the Free Shipping option. About the only time I pay for shipping is if there is a store that has something that I've been looking for for a really long time (for the right price) and don't think it will come around again any time soon.

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

TheComicStore
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 9:46:10 PM

Shop at My Store

4saken1 wrote:
TheComicStore wrote:

I'm kinda the same as ukblueky on this. Shipping is always a consideration. I look for stores that have a 'Free Shipping' option and try to refrain from buying comics that they have from somebody else if their prices can't be beat until they have enough comics from my WishList to qualify for the Free Shipping option. About the only time I pay for shipping is if there is a store that has something that I've been looking for for a really long time (for the right price) and don't think it will come around again any time soon.

Yeah that makes sense. It's what I do for the most part as well.

I'm just wondering if many folks are immediately turned away when they see a book listed for $1-$2 more than other books though, without even seeing if the shipping makes it work out to the same or less than other stores that list their books at low prices but offer higher shipping rates. I've tried to set my store up so that I can see immediately what I want to get from books by how they are listed and made a single flat rate option for shipping, which works out to be a better rate with the more books purchased. Basically though, I just wanted to take the ownerous part of caluclating up shipping costs away from the customer so all they have to think about is how much they want to spend on comic books.

Top Rated Seller on eBay!

Comic Book Crusade
Geek Chic Comics
Comic Collecting
dunleavy75
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 10:08:10 PM

The things I take into consideration are...

1. Customer Service (before, during, and after the sale)(grading, packaging, knowledge, etc.)
2. Price
3. Shipping

Shop at - ComicsCastle - AlphaComics - TreeHouse
4saken1
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 12:34:11 AM

Shop at My Store

TheComicStore wrote:
Basically though, I just wanted to take the ownerous part of caluclating up shipping costs away from the customer so all they have to think about is how much they want to spend on comic books.

I can certainly see your point. One of the great things about the CCL checkout feature is that it will calculate shipping for you based on the seller's set rates.

For the most part, I think most buyers are savvy enough to figure out what the best deals are (or at least come close). Every customer is different, though, and has their own priorities/guidelines regarding what they are looking for in a potential purchase. I guess the key is having as many options as possible so that you can attract as many different types of buyers as possible!

ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get 30% Off Select Comics
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Every domestic order of 25 or more comics gets FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Though I can't provide Free Shipping on foreign orders, we do offer a $5 refund on postage for purchases of 25 or more comics to foreign countries or a $10 refund if you buy 50 comics (again, foreign orders only).

spiderjack
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 10:45:59 PM

Sadly i live in FL and if there's a brightspot in FL i live in the area farest from it ie the nearest LCS is three hours away in Tampa
The last one near by closed it's doors a year ago so i do 100% mail order both for current and back issues mostly from Lonestar comics but i'll be buying most of my back issues from sellers here