Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Comic Books » History and Comic Books » Welcome aboard
JRaup
Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:31:10 PM
Groups: Member
Capekiller wrote:
loganzak wrote:
there asn't been a post here since oct of 2007

That is because this is JRAUP's forum. Dude is suspect, I'm telling ya!!!

Suspected, but never convicted! Devil

The biggest problem here is all the Marvel fan-boys whose intellect is rivaled by that of a bag of frozen peas! So getting a meaningful discussion going is often fruitless...
R.I.P. TRACY L. BROWN

CCL RULES

"Evolution is overrated." - Gorilla Grodd
"So many cross-overs...So many tie-ins..I..need...more...CHARACTER!" - Secret Sacred Wars Roach
CCL Store: JR's Spare Comics
Homepage: www.home.earthlink.net/~deaconblue3
Blog: www.deaconblue.wordpress.com
PSN: JRaup

If you are having trouble logging in, please email helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com for assistance. Be sure to include your user name.
meangreenninjame
Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:37:38 PM
Hey as a large marvel fan myself... I challenge you to a mental duel!!!

(...as long as it is something I know)
petebyrnejr
Thursday, February 12, 2009 10:17:52 AM
JRaup wrote:
..we're expecting you....OK, apologies for the Love Boat reference.

So, my suggestion for a history forum has been accepted. Woo-hoo! Applause
Now, what my goal is, is to have a place where we can discuss not only the history of comics, but how they relate to the events of history. I got the idea between epcomic's fact of the day thread, and while poking around on superdickery.com, particularly the propaganda section. I'll be starting up a few threads to get things rolling.

Actually, JR, you were supposed to start "up a few threads to get things rolling". We have all been waiting for you to layout a framework for these discussions, and how you would like your thread run. So you're Marvel fan-boy excuse has no merit.
I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice.

I don't want EVERYTHING, just ONE of everthing will do nicely.
oakman29
Thursday, February 12, 2009 9:10:02 PM
History of comicsThink All I can say is "Obadia Oldbuck"
Discuss amongst yourselvesWaiting
"You want me to trade you my comic for small rectangular sheets of green paper with the images of dead white men?"

fenix1977
Saturday, March 21, 2009 5:26:51 AM
Groups: Member, Subscriber
Not sure if any one is interested but I read a great book about comics in the 40's 50's and 60's and the struggles they faced. It is called "The Ten Cent Plague: The Great Comic Book Scare and How It Changed America" by David Hadju. It was a real eye opener to read about the crap that went on and struggles of the comic book industry. It also made me angry to know that they had organized comic book burnings. Sigh
cleafus
Thursday, April 09, 2009 7:43:16 PM
fenix1977 wrote:
Not sure if any one is interested but I read a great book about comics in the 40's 50's and 60's and the struggles they faced. It is called "The Ten Cent Plague: The Great Comic Book Scare and How It Changed America" by David Hadju. It was a real eye opener to read about the crap that went on and struggles of the comic book industry. It also made me angry to know that they had organized comic book burnings. Sigh

All that money up in smoke........
Every day above ground is a good day.

bgunsta
Thursday, April 23, 2009 10:08:46 PM
i have a LOT ofmoney go "up in smoke"
"I been browsin and inspectin X-Men comics ya Know i collect them, like the pens in my pocket i must protect them."
mcnair2020
Monday, March 22, 2010 12:40:45 AM
I think that it would be a good idea to focus on a particular era in comics and go from there. I have been doing some research on comics, particularly the Bronze Age comics and found that the bronze age had a lot of shift in themes, particularly recent issues of the times, including drug use, feminism, and even racism.

I have a website that describes the bronze age at Bronze Age Comics to see more info. Please visit and feel free to blog. I also have a free comic book giveaway you can sign up for, if you visit and blog.

Khumbu
Saturday, October 29, 2011 6:31:34 AM
If you are talking the political history of comics, it begins with Fredric Wertham. Hendrikson and Kevaur really wanted these indictments of the comic industry to be on a par with the communist hearings of the time.

My own personal belief is that the new comic code resulted in un-intellectual comics for quite a while, however they ended up creating a wave of creativity we have not seen in quite a while.

Eventually, in the late 60's and early 70's, in order to tell better stories, both Marvel and DC bucked the CCA for a while.

There is so much more....
dagma333
Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:02:57 AM
For me, the early 70s, say about 71ish-75ish is my favorite era of comic books.

Storywise; there was just so much influence going on in them. Vietnam(post-vietnam), Watergate, Cold War, post-hippyism, ealry phase disco, cheesey TV shows, sexual revolution, rise of advaenture fantasy (Conan (though originally from the 30s), Gor, type books and sci-fi were really taking hold in a big way), it allowed for some pretty nifty story-telling.

I liked the art, in that it was still somewhat simplistic, it was still narrative. It was art that told a sequence of events. Today's comic art is awesome art.....but in my humble old guy opinion, it doesn't have the same narrative quality as the old panels.

So all in all those early 70s stories showed some of breaking of the prior naivete (probably spelled wrong), but still had narrative art.
JimmmKelly
Tuesday, July 02, 2013 6:49:23 AM
Poliitically, I think you have to "Blame Canada" for the censorship in U.S. comics. It started in the late '40s, when two boys were playing with a rifle and shot a driver in northern BC. It was found out that these two teens read comic books. There was a whole debate about it in the provincial legislature and that went to the federal parliament. Frederick Wertham wrote about all this in a chapter in SEDUCTION OF THE INNOCENT.

The upshot of it was that Canada passed laws against certain comics and imposed censorship on others. Some American comics couldn't get across the border because they were considered too violent.

Looking at what Canada had done, people like Wertham in the U.S. thought this was a good idea and started to campaign for similar restrictions.

Mind you--long before there was a Comics Code--every publisher had their own in-house code on what was acceptable and what was not. Some publishers were very strict and others were not.

I think the Comics Code has become a bit of a scapegoat. it was a voluntary system and not every publisher abided by it. It was imposed by the publishers because the publishers were afraid of the government and of citizens' groups, that were a threat to the whole industry. We tend to think that the Comic Code forced these changes on comics--and bemoan the fact that they destroyed some great publishers. But it was really the American people--mothers and fathers and teachers and community leaders--who did this to comics. So they should get the blame.

Or Canada.