Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Characters from Other Publishers » Sandman (aka Morpheus, aka Dream)
SpionKopUltra23
Sunday, November 25, 2007 7:55:24 AM
Groups: Member
SANDMAN(aka Morpheus, aka Dream)

First Appearance : Sandman Vol. 2 #1 (January 1989)

Created By : Neil Gaiman

History

Morpheus, the Lord of Dreams,is essentially the anthropomorphic manifestation of dreams. At the start of the series, Morpheus is captured by an occult ritual and held prisoner for 70 years. Morpheus escapes in the modern day and sets about rebuilding his kingdom, which has fallen into disrepair in his absence.

Preludes and Nocturnes (collecting The Sandman #1-8)
Dream is imprisoned for decades by an occultist seeking immortality. Upon escaping, he must reclaim his objects of power while still in a weakened state, confronting a dream junkie, the legions of Hell, and an all-powerful madman in the process. Guest starring several DC Universe characters including John Constantine, Scott Free, J'onn J'onzz, Scarecrow, Etrigan the Demon, and Doctor Destiny. It also features the introduction of Lucifer.

The Doll's House (collecting The Sandman #9-16)
Morpheus tracks down rogue dreams that escaped the Dreaming during his absence. In the process, he must shatter the illusions of a family living in dreams, disband a convention of serial killers, and deal with a "dream vortex" that threatens the existence of the entire Dreaming.

Dream Country (collecting The Sandman #17-20)
This volume contains four independent stories. The imprisoned muse Calliope is forced to provide story ideas, a cat seeks to change the world with dreams, Shakespeare puts on a play for an unearthly audience, and a shape-shifting immortal (obscure DC comics character Element Girl) longs for death.

Season of Mists (collecting The Sandman #21-28)
Dream travels to Hell to free a former lover, Nada, whom he condemned to torment thousands of years ago. There, Dream learns that Lucifer has abandoned his domain. When Lucifer gives the Hell's key (and therefore, the ownership of Hell) to the Sandman, Morpheus himself becomes trapped in a tangled network of threats, promises, and lies as gods and demons from various pantheons seek ownership of Hell.

A Game of You (collecting The Sandman #32-37)
Barbie, a New York divorcée (introduced in The Doll's House), travels to the magical realm that she once inhabited in her dreams, only to find that it is being threatened by the forces of the Cuckoo. This series introduces the character of Thessaly, who will play a key role in Morpheus' eventual fate.

Fables and Reflections (collecting The Sandman #29-31, 38-40, 50, Sandman Special #1 and Vertigo Preview #1)
A collection of short stories set throughout Morpheus' history, most of them originally published both before and after the "Game of You" story arc. Four issues dealing with kings and rulers, were originally published under the label Distant Mirrors, while three others, detailing the meetings of various characters, were published as the Convergences arc. Fables and Reflections also includes the Sandman Special, originally published as a stand-alone issue, which assimilates the myth of Orpheus into the Sandman mythos as well as a very short Sandman story from the Vertigo Preview promotional comic.

Brief Lives (collecting The Sandman #41-49)
Dream's erratic younger sister Delirium convinces him to help her search for their missing brother, the former Endless Destruction, who left his place among the "family" three hundred years before. However, their quest is marred by the death of all around them, and eventually Morpheus must turn to his son Orpheus to find the truth, and undo an ancient sin.

Worlds' End (collecting The Sandman #51-56)
A "reality storm" (see Zero Hour) strands travelers from across the cosmos at the "Worlds' End Inn". To pass the time, they exchange stories.

The Kindly Ones (collecting The Sandman #57-69 and Vertigo Jam #1)
In the longest Sandman story, Morpheus becomes the prey of the Furies, avenging spirits who torment those who spill family blood.

The Wake (collecting The Sandman #70-75)
The conclusion of the series, wrapping up the remaining loose ends in a three-issue "wake" sequence, followed by three self-contained stories.

X-Box : SpionKU23
CoD4 or Halo 3

Twitter : Spion23
Facebook : Brian Stevenson
R.I.P. TRACY L. BROWN

spidey0vs0venom
Wednesday, November 28, 2007 9:23:34 AM
YES!!! Someone finally contributed a character to this "other publishers" board. THANK YOU SPION
DaLeah96
Wednesday, November 28, 2007 12:21:50 PM
Groups: Guru, Member, Reviews Host
spidey0vs0venom wrote:
YES!!! Someone finally contributed a character to this "other publishers" board. THANK YOU SPION

But its a DC character Confused

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here.
spidey0vs0venom
Thursday, November 29, 2007 9:13:46 AM
Honestly, I don't even care what Sandman is as long as someone actually came hereBig Hug

And I guess Vertigo counts as another publisher.

Nevermind I'm just trying to justify itCrying
DaLeah96
Thursday, November 29, 2007 11:42:09 AM
spidey0vs0venom wrote:
And I guess Vertigo counts as another publisher.

Maybe, but he is established in the mainstream DC universe.

spidey0vs0venom
Friday, November 30, 2007 9:23:06 AM
Thats true, I do see your point
SpionKopUltra23
Saturday, December 01, 2007 12:31:52 PM
Vertigo is a registered trademark of DC
but to me its still a publisher in its own right!
If you want to move it fine,but I was going to add addditional vertigo titles here!
Do you want them in DC as well as Wildstorm et al?

And Morpheus isnt established in the DC Universe.
"Vertigo comics' relationship with DC continuity is unclear, and sometimes contradictory" Wiki
X-Box : SpionKU23
CoD4 or Halo 3

Twitter : Spion23
Facebook : Brian Stevenson
R.I.P. TRACY L. BROWN

DaLeah96
Saturday, December 01, 2007 3:47:33 PM
SpionKopUltra23 wrote:
Vertigo is a registered trademark of DC
but to me its still a publisher in its own right!
If you want to move it fine,but I was going to add addditional vertigo titles here!
Do you want them in DC as well as Wildstorm et al?

And Morpheus isnt established in the DC Universe.
"Vertigo comics' relationship with DC continuity is unclear, and sometimes contradictory" Wiki

Where we place Vertigo is up to the group as a whole.
However Sandman predates Vertigo in that the imprint was actually added well into the run.

I stated Morpheus as being part of the DC Universe, not necessarily Vertigo. The Sandman series was been shown to be part of the DC Universe throughout its run.
Early appearances by the many of the DC Univers characters include Golden Age Sandman (Wesley Dodd), John Constantine, Martian Manhunter (J'onn J'onzz), Etrigan the Demon, Fury (Lyta Hall). Camoes by Batman & Superman.
The story arc World's End has ties to the DC Universe event Zero Hour.
And finally the current Sandman - Daniel Hall son of Lyta Hall & Hector Hall making him the grandson of Hawkman (Carter Hall). Daniel himself has made appearances in JLA & JSA titles.

spidey0vs0venom
Sunday, December 02, 2007 10:11:26 PM
Spion you can post Vertigo characters here if you want. I'll talk to the other mods to see what they want to do
bycklesas
Monday, February 20, 2023 8:49:48 PM
I indicated that Morpheus is a member of the DC Universe, but this does not necessarily mean that he is a part of Vertigo. Over the whole of its existence, the Sandman series was consistently shown as being inside the DC Universe.
LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR
Blerikk
Saturday, March 04, 2023 11:46:15 AM
hi