Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Comics, Other Publishers » GI Joe and Transformers
WEBVG
Thursday, September 28, 2023 2:12:17 PM
Groups: Member
I just read Transformers #1 and it was better than I expected. It's written as a clean fresh start over instead of as something that's been going for 40 years.

GI Joe is starting with #301 which implies a continuation of the ongoing stories.

Does this mean they're basically writing the Transformers into the GI Joe universe or should we expect a totally new restart with them as well that ties into nothing before it? I would have thought that would be better suited by a #1 instead of #301?
REDWOLVES...led by Jayden Daniels, cheered on by the Wolves Den...
bluedevil2002
Friday, September 29, 2023 10:09:32 AM
The #301 is a continuation of the series originally started at Marvel in the 80s. It's completely separate from the other new GI Joe and Transformers material.
WEBVG
Friday, September 29, 2023 12:34:45 PM
Everything I've been reading so far in sales hype is all combined "Energon Universe" I just can't tell from the solicitation

Quote:
SERIES PREMIERE A new era for G.I. JOE starts here...but one Joe won’t survive THIS ISSUE! The legendary LARRY HAMA is joined by new series artist CHRIS MOONEYHAM (Five Ghosts) and cover artist ANDY KUBERT (Batman, X-Men) to continue one of the longest-running titles in comics history!

"SERIES PREMIERE A new era for G.I. JOE starts here" That's kid of leading me to feeling it will be all new not connected to the first 300 issues.

Quote:
COBRA COMMANDER #1 CVR A ANDREA MILANA
(W) Joshua Williamson (CA) Andrea Milana
Cobra Commander #1 launches in January 2024, from Joshua Williamson, Andrea Milana (Impact Winter: Rook) and Annalisa Leoni (Oblivion Song). In a world where Cobra doesn’t exist, one man’s sinister plans to utilize the mysterious alien substance known as Energon will send shockwaves across the globe.

Quote:
DUKE #1 (OF 5) CVR A TOM REILLY
(W) Joshua WIlliamson (CA) Tom Reilly
The new Energon Universe expands in December with Duke #1, a limited series from Joshua Williamson (DC’s Superman, Dark Ride), Tom Reilly (The Thing) and Jordie Bellaire (W0rldtr33), that tells the story you’ve never read before – the origins of G.I. Joe and Cobra in a world grappling with the arrival of the Autobots and Decepticons. When Conrad S. Hauser (codename DUKE) investigates the mysteries behind The Transformers, the answers will lead to the birth of forces for good and evil that the world never imagined. Duke will be the first of four G.I. Joe limited series coming from Skybound, setting the stage for a fresh new take on G.I. Joe, Cobra and the iconic characters that you only think you know!

Quote:
GI JOE A REAL AMERICAN HERO #302 CVR A KUBERT & ANDERSON
(W) Larry Hama (A) Chris Mooneyham, Francesco Segala (CA) Andy Kubert, Brad Anderson
"**FUNERAL FOR A JOE! **As the Joes mourn their fallen brother, dangerous new forces are mounting against them. Cobra Commander returns to Springfield and the now mutant Serpentor Khan turns to a deadly new ally you won’t see coming!

Now issue #302 is hinting at a return to Springfield that makes me think he's been there before in the first 300 issues.

If they're keeping the original continuity of GI Joe and now that would mean they're writing the Transformers into the GI Joe universe and now calling it the "Energon Universe".

I'm hoping for a clean jumping on point for new fans but it's starting to sound like it may not be for the GI Joe side of the universe. The more I think about it the more it's starting to disappoint. I gave up reading GI Joe back in the 80's in the 20's so I was hoping I wouldn't need to know what happened in the other 270+ issues. I'm also hoping to see Image releasing the earlier 300 issues in some type of omnibus format as well so I could have the option to eventually read the back stuff I missed. I'm not chasing down all those back issues from the Marvel era now any other way other than trades or omnibus.

Thundercron
Friday, September 29, 2023 3:04:55 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
WEBVG wrote:
Everything I've been reading so far in sales hype is all combined "Energon Universe" I just can't tell from the solicitation

Quote:
SERIES PREMIERE A new era for G.I. JOE starts here...but one Joe won’t survive THIS ISSUE! The legendary LARRY HAMA is joined by new series artist CHRIS MOONEYHAM (Five Ghosts) and cover artist ANDY KUBERT (Batman, X-Men) to continue one of the longest-running titles in comics history!

"SERIES PREMIERE A new era for G.I. JOE starts here" That's kid of leading me to feeling it will be all new not connected to the first 300 issues.

Those taglines are used by every publisher, repeatedly, when a new number one launches or a new creative team takes over. It never means the past comics are no longer canon.
bluedevil2002
Saturday, September 30, 2023 6:09:45 PM
They're launching a new GI Joe/Transformers shared universe - that's the Energon Universe.

They're also continuing the Larry Hama series, picking up the numbering from Marvel and IDW. That's not part of the Energon Universe.
WEBVG
Sunday, October 01, 2023 12:33:33 PM
Quote:
They're also continuing the Larry Hama series, picking up the numbering from Marvel and IDW. That's not part of the Energon Universe.

That sounds confusing as hell. This GI Joe book is one universe and the other GI Joe book isn't???? I had a customer in this morning already mentioning how he's waiting for reprints of the original GI Joe to start coming out. I might have to cut back on my GI Joe stocking if they're going to make a mess of this. GI Joe doesn't sell in store but is a great seller on E-Bay even with the 16 E-Bay markup. I shipped another dozen ranging from the 260's to #300 ratio Friday evening.

Quote:
Serpentor Khan turns to a deadly new ally you won’t see coming!

So there's zero chance the new ally is Megatron or one of those Spawn villains in #302.
bluedevil2002
Sunday, October 01, 2023 5:28:45 PM
WEBVG wrote:
Quote:

That sounds confusing as hell. This GI Joe book is one universe and the other GI Joe book isn't????

Except for the changing publishers part, it's basically the same as the difference between Amazing Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man, or Batman and The Batman Adventures.
WEBVG
Tuesday, October 03, 2023 4:55:26 PM
We'll see how it goes once we get the other titles in the door. Transformers #1 has a couple takers so far but one's a college kid I don't expect to be a long term subscriber, just a short term buy it when it's out type. The other's a guy getting a lot of Image off the shelf for the last month+ but hasn't committed to anything yet. That's 3 out of 11 copies spoken for so far, one doubled up and got 2 different covers. BC claims the print run's 150,000+ prior to the 5 second printings getting announced so I expect there's enough supply to meet actual demand by a long shot already. I expect one of the E-Bay regulars will grab a copy I'll have to ship to California with whatever else they get this week. It's never a guarantee but break even isn't too far away with a 50% sell thru.
WEBVG
Tuesday, October 10, 2023 12:26:19 PM
Quote:

YOUR FIRST LOOK AT THE RETURN OF G.I. JOE: A REAL AMERICAN HERO IN ISSUE #301
Larry Hama & Chris Mooneyham Continue One of the Most Iconic Comic Book Series Ever

LOS ANGELES 10/10/2023 — Today Skybound, in collaboration with leading toy and game company Hasbro, debuted an all-new first look at G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero #301. One of the longest running non-superhero comics of all time, G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero launches at Skybound with legendary series writer Larry Hama (Marvel’s Wolverine) continuing his record-breaking run on the series, joined by fan-favorite artist Chris Mooneyham (DC’s Nightwing, Sgt. Rock and the Unknown Soldier) and colorist Francesco Segala (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) breathing new life into the iconic characters, and with covers by the incomparable Andy Kubert (Marvel’s X-Men). G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero #301 arrives in comic book shops on November 15, 2023.

A new era for G.I. JOE begins in G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero #301 with this jumping on point for new readers as your favorite characters – Duke, Scarlett, Roadblock, Storm Shadow, Cobra Commander, Serpentor and more – are back for new battles, new friends, new enemies and…THE RETURN OF THE ORIGINAL SNAKE-EYES!

In addition to the main cover, each issue of G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero will also feature an open-to-order variant cover with a black and white version of Kubert’s stunning main cover. Issue #301 also features a 1:10 incentive cover by Brad Walker (Detective Comics) and an open-to-order blank sketch cover.

The return of G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero continues the historic collaboration between Skybound and Hasbro, seeing the return of the G.I. JOE franchise to comics as overseen by visionary creator Robert Kirkman (Invincible, The Walking Dead), alongside the all-new shared Energon Universe that features Void Rivals by Kirkman and artist Lorenzo De Felici (Oblivion Song), TRANSFORMERS by writer/artist Daniel Warren Johnson, Duke by writer Joshua Williamson (DC’s Superman, Dark Ride) and artist Tom Reilly (The Thing), and Cobra Commander by writer Joshua Williamson and artist Andrea Milana (Impact Winter: Rook).

G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero #301 (Lunar Codes below | SRP: $3.99) will be available on Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at comic book shops and digital platforms including Amazon Kindle, Apple Books, comiXology, and Google Play.

The full list of variant covers is below:
• G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero #301 Cover A by Andy Kubert and Brad Anderson (Lunar Code 0923IM335)
• G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero #301 Cover B by Andy Kubert (Lunar Code 0923IM336)
• G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero #301 Cover C (1:10 incentive) by Brad Walker (Lunar Code 0923IM337)
• G.I. JOE: A Real American Hero #301 Cover D Blank Sketch Cover (Lunar Code 0923IM338)

Fans can also discover the origins of G.I. JOE and Cobra in The Energon Universe by pre-ordering their copies of the upcoming limited series Duke #1 (Lunar Code 0623IM806) and Cobra Commander #1 (Lunar Code 0623IM807) right now at their local comic book shops.

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #301 CVR A by Andy Kubert and Brad Anderson

From Wiki
Quote:
IDW Publishing
G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero continuation
In 2009, IDW Publishing took over the license for G.I. Joe comics, and started a new series that continues where the Marvel Comics series ended. The series began with a free Comic Book Day issue #155 1⁄2, and replaces all of the Devil's Due Publishing continuity that had previously been established. This continuation of the Marvel series is again written by Larry Hama.[76]

Snake Eyes ultimately sacrifices himself to stop a revived Serpentor from destroying the Pit III, by tackling him into a shaft with a grenade in his hand.[84] To convince Cobra that Snake Eyes is still alive, the recently recruited Sean Collins, who himself has been disfigured much as Snake Eyes was, is given the identity of Snake Eyes to continue in his name.[85]

It's sounding like a new beginning in the Energon Universe but with old numbering continued.
MoonKnight1
Tuesday, October 10, 2023 12:47:00 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
bluedevil2002 wrote:
They're launching a new GI Joe/Transformers shared universe - that's the Energon Universe.

So which Universe is the Dark Horse G. I. Joe series in? Confused

Hall of Heroes Quote of the Week

"Don’t flee from yourself. If you have a quality, be proud of it, let it define you, whatever it is." - Pinhead (Hellraiser III)

Check out my eBay store here: Hall Liquidations
WEBVG
Tuesday, October 10, 2023 2:06:14 PM
Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

YOUR FIRST LOOK AT THE COBRA COMMANDER #1 FROM JOSHUA WILLIAMSON & ANDREA MILANA
The Energon Universe Expands in the All-New G.I. JOE Miniseries

LOS ANGELES 10/10/2023 — Today Skybound, in collaboration with leading toy and game company Hasbro, revealed an impressive lineup of variant covers and a first look at interior pages of Cobra Commander #1 from writer Joshua Williamson (DC’s Superman, Dark Ride), artist Andrea Milana (Impact Winter: Rook) and colorist Annalisa Leoni (Oblivion Song). The debut issue of the Energon Universe’s newest limited series arrives in comic book shops on January 17, 2024.

The rise of Cobra begins HERE. In a world where Cobra doesn’t exist, one man’s sinister plans to utilize the mysterious alien substance known as Energon will send shockwaves across the globe. Who is Cobra Commander? Where does he come from? And what horrors is he planning to unleash that will rock the world – and maybe the universe – to its core?

The second of four action-packed G.I. JOE miniseries that will introduce the best and worst humanity has to offer in the Energon Universe, Cobra Commander is preceded by Duke #1, which launches in December. These miniseries promise to set the stage for a fresh new take on G.I. JOE, Cobra and the iconic characters that you only think you know in a shared universe with TRANSFORMERS and Void Rivals!

Skybound and Hasbro also debuted a first look at pages from Duke #1, from writer Joshua Williamson, artist Tom Reilly (The Thing) and colorist Jordie Bellaire (W0rldtr33), that tells the story you’ve never read before – the origins of G.I. JOE and Cobra in a world grappling with the arrival of the Autobots and Decepticons. When Conrad S. Hauser (codename DUKE) investigates the mysteries behind the TRANSFORMERS, the answers will lead to the birth of forces for good and evil that the world never imagined.

The Energon Universe officially began in June 2023 with the surprise first appearance of iconic TRANSFORMERS character Jetfire in Void Rivals #1, introducing the historic new collaboration between Hasbro and Skybound, with TRANSFORMERS and G.I. JOE comics finding a new home with the publisher. The Energon Universe recently expanded with TRANSFORMERS #1 from writer/artist Daniel Warren Johnson (Extremity, Do a Powerbomb, DC’s Wonder Woman: Dead Earth) and colorist Mike Spicer (Stillwater, Murder Falcon), kicking off a brand-new era for the iconic franchise.

Duke #1 (of 5) (Lunar Code 0623IM806 | $4.99) will be available at comic book shops and digital platforms including Amazon Kindle, Apple Books, comiXology, and Google Play on Wednesday, December 27, 2023.

• Duke #1 Cover A by Tom Reilly
• Duke #1 Cover B by David Aja
• Duke #1 Cover C (1:10 Copy Incentive) (Connecting) by Tyler Boss & Jason Wordie
• Duke #1 Cover D (1:25 Copy Incentive) by Steve Epting
• Duke #1 Cover E (1:50 Copy Incentive) by Andrea Sorrentino
• Duke #1 Cover F (1:100 Copy Incentive) (Foil) by Jonboy Meyers
• Duke #1 Cover G Blank Sketch Cover

Cobra Commander #1 (of 5) (Lunar Code 0623IM807 | $4.99) will be available at comic book shops and digital platforms including Amazon Kindle, Apple Books, comiXology, and Google Play on Wednesday, January 17, 2024.

• Cobra Commander #1 Cover A by Andrea Milani & Annalisa Leoni
• Cobra Commander #1 Cover B by David Aja
• Cobra Commander #1 Cover C (1:10 Copy Incentive) (Connecting) by Chris Burnham
• Cobra Commander #1 Cover D (1:25 Copy Incentive) by Steve Epting
• Cobra Commander #1 Cover E (1:50 Copy Incentive) by Andrea Sorrentino
• Cobra Commander #1 Cover F (1:100 Copy Incentive) (Foil) by Jonboy Meyers
• Cobra Commander #1 Cover G Blank Sketch Cover

Cobra Commander #1 Cover A by Andrea Milani & Annalisa Leoni

Cobra Commander sounds like a start over in the Energon Universe as well.
WEBVG
Tuesday, October 10, 2023 2:14:24 PM
Quote:
In 2009, IDW Publishing began to publish the series again. IDW's G.I. Joe series is a complete reboot of the property, ignoring the continuity from the Marvel and Devil's Due incarnations of the comic. However, the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero series originally published by Marvel Comics in the 1980s and 1990s was revived as an ongoing series in May 2010 with a special #155 1⁄2 issue, and followed by #156 onwards in July 2010. The series directly picks up from the end of the Marvel Comics series and ignores the Devil's Due continuity completely. In 2022 it was announced that IDW lost the rights to G.I Joe.

I can't find the Dark Horse stuff mentioned on Wiki but so far it looks like

Marvel 1-155
IDW 155 1/2 - 300

All in the same continuity.

Image 301 appears to be starting over without the first 300 issues of continuity. If ever there was a place for a new #1 that sounds like it. It's looking like we can blame Energon for the rise of Cobra as well.
WEBVG
Thursday, October 19, 2023 8:39:26 PM
Quote:
G.I. JOE: A REAL AMERICAN HERO #301
On-Sale: November 15, 2023 | SRP: $3.99

RETAILER NOTES:
1. G.I. JOE: A REAL AMERICAN HERO is NOT part of the ENERGON UNIVERSE lineup of titles & is a SEPARATE continuity, which continues the previous storylines!

SYNOPSIS
SERIES PREMIERE

A new era for G.I. JOE starts here...but one Joe won’t survive THIS ISSUE!

The legendary LARRY HAMA is joined by new series artist CHRIS MOONEYHAM (Five Ghosts) and cover artist ANDY KUBERT (Batman, X-Men) to continue one of the longest-running titles in comics history!

That appears settled, now to figure out what TM is thinking trying to dump 10 new Spawn titles on us next year. Hopefully most are minis but still sounds like X-Men level scare everyone away overkill to me.

If there's going to be some magical resurrection thing to bring back the original Snake Eyes, what happens to the current Snake Eyes? I just found a small stack of issues #213 and #214 yesterday I'd forgotten about.