Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Comic Books » Name a series you think deserves more attention

Name a series you think deserves more attention

2 pages: [1] 2
dougeri
Tuesday, July 03, 2007 3:25:20 PM
Groups: Member
Use this thread to shout out that series you think has outstanding quality but that you don't feel many people know about/read. Or two or three or whatever. Be sure to say why, don't just list a title or two and expect people to be convinced. And no, this doesn't mean you can't list Amazing Spider-Man. As long as you honestly feel it isn't getting the attention it deserves, it's fine. And you can of course post as many times as you'd like as you find new things that deserve support.

Also feel free to call out and discuss anyone's choice that you DON'T agree with. This should be a discussion, not a mindless rally. Okay, enough being annoying english undergrad professor-guy.

My first choice would be:

City of Others (Dark Horse Comics)
Writer: Steve Niles
Artist: Bernie Wrightson

Though its only a tiny mini-series and more than half over, this stuff is great! Its beautifully drawn, looks like the work of a guy who doesn't have to draw for 8 different series every month and can pour his soul into this stuff. It is horror, just so thats clear, but it has been done in an original way so far. Lots of mystery, shock, plot twists. yeah, this rocks. The main character is as badass, or more so, as the Punisher and other vigilantes. solid read. highly recommended.
regmo53
Tuesday, July 03, 2007 4:05:22 PM
Any Avengers title! Ha, just kidding...

Seriously, I think before the WWH saga the Incredible Hulk didn't get a fair mention and I'm included in that as I missed nearly all the Planet Hulk issues. Another title is the Grimm Fairy Tales line from Zenetrope (spelling?), I know it's all T&A as far as the art goes but the stories are actually all pretty good in retelling these classics. If you haven't read one, give it a shot. They've actually spun another series from that title.
Make Mine Marvel!
titanmatrix
Tuesday, July 03, 2007 7:30:12 PM
the now deceased Green arrow series didn't get the respect it deserved.

At this point i'm buying anything attached to ollie just to keep the character alive
Offical Representative of the Year 2099
"hey whats wrong?"
"I have conectile dysfunction"
"whats that?"
"it means that I disconect under pressure."

"yeah i know it's kinda corny but we had to call it something but Canda was taken."
Capta
Tuesday, July 03, 2007 7:32:21 PM
Scalped.....great Vertigo title.
"/>
Koju
Tuesday, July 03, 2007 8:06:21 PM
The Irredeemable Ant-Man...

PS: SAVE ANT-MAN
(please...Pray ?)

If you are having trouble logging in, please email helpdesk@comiccollectorlive.com for assistance. Be sure to include your user name.
cellthepin39
Tuesday, July 03, 2007 8:11:52 PM
Ant-man, for the love of God please give it more attention to save it from getting cancled.
Capekiller
Tuesday, July 03, 2007 9:40:47 PM
The New X-Men.

Started out as juevenile, but has really grown into something better. Many of the characters have real potential and the artwork is great.
Rockslide is by far one of the best written characters in comics. Forget his powers and what not and listen to what he says. I can't help but laugh with every sentence. He has a very contemporary sense of humour.
As long as they don't supress the savage side, X-23 will be killer.
The return of one of my all time favourite characters, Magic is money. I mean, she is (was) the ruler of Limbo man!!!!
Kind of has that Degrassi Junior High/High appeal going.
Great book.
uncannyxmen82
Tuesday, July 03, 2007 11:20:52 PM
I think X-factor should be getting more attention than it has been. The stories have been consistently good since day one. It is arguably my favorite X-title right now.
Savage1
Tuesday, July 03, 2007 11:24:55 PM
Lone Ranger (Dynamite) Has been realy good since it started.
"Know, O prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleming cities, and the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars.
"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweeled thrones of teh Earth under his sandaled feet."
---- The Nemedian Chronicles

Shadowdodger
Wednesday, July 04, 2007 12:44:31 AM
OK, so I know only one issue has come out so far, but The Highwaymen from WildStorm (DC) is fantastic. Excellent pacing, just enough character development to get you interested and yet leave room for expansion, and a great premise. I hope this book does really well. You should check it out!
Shadowdodger says: "Shop at these fine stores"

Hall of Heroes ComicsMD ComicVortex
Legends Comix and Games Blue Moon Comics Comic Cellar
eddpriest
Wednesday, July 04, 2007 1:25:48 AM
Wanted, Hunter Killer, Nobel Causes, anything with Spawn on the title and my current favorite title Thunderbolts.
SuperJoe1129
Wednesday, July 04, 2007 1:33:24 AM

FELL by Warren Ellis and Ben Templesmith is outstanding. The books are only 2 bucks for a whole story plus extras at the end, sometimes a commentary by Ellis, other times fan letters, or maybe even discarded sketches and scripts!!

and

X-FACTOR. As someone else mentioned, this series has been consistently great since the new series 1st issue. It is the only X-Title that I will pick up.

"...But I have cases." "We all have cases!" Powers

"...It's like watching a chimpanzee trying to swallow a hand grenade, you just can't take your eyes off of it!" The Simpsons

"Why is it that we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up." Batman Begins
3xross
Wednesday, July 04, 2007 4:30:21 AM
although only 2 issues in...i'm really digging storm shadow. the art fits the overall theme perfectly and it's pace very cinematically. not only i'm i enjoying the story and hate to get to the last page and have to wait another month i just know there is gonna be some kick azz cameos on the way.
frankhster
Wednesday, July 04, 2007 1:27:14 PM
BattleStar Galactica (Dynamite): If you like the show, You'll love the comic!

Good Stuff!
BurningDoom
Wednesday, July 04, 2007 1:54:18 PM
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member
Do back series count? So far, everything that I liked that used to not be noticed is now being noticed like Ghost Rider, Green Lantern, & JSA. But Starman(Vol.2) with Jack Knight as Starman was freaking awesome. If nobody has read this series, pick em up in the back-issue bins before they become expensive, because they have a sort of cult following. It's awesome:

Jack Knight is the youngest of 2 sons of the original Starman, Ted Knight. Ted Knight was of course a member of the original Justice Society of America during World War II and used his "Gravity Rod" later dubbed the "Cosmic Rod" to fight evil. The rod gave him the ability of flight, the ability to manipulate gravity, and to shoot energy blasts. Later after giving his rod improvements he could also form force fields and basic objects out of hard energy much like Green Lantern's ring but not nearly as powerful. Ted Knight later retires and this is where Jack's series picks up. Ted Knight's eldest son, David, takes up the costume and rod and becomes the next Starman. A villain assassinates him and kills him then goes after Jack and Ted Knight. After barely surviving a similar attack on his life, Jack takes up the Cosmic Rod reluctantly and defends himself and his father. Afterwards he becomes the next Starman very reluctantly. He is really thrust into the role and has to adjust to the idea. He doesn't wear a traditional costume. And much like many of us fans, he is an avid collector. He collects old collectibles from the 40s-60s. Things like Monster Movie things, Golden Age Movie things, and just things that were in style then, as well as records and comics. So that makes him a really relateable character. And this series ties together all the various Starmen that have appeared in DC Comics and actually makes sense of it all. It's great to see the 80s Will Payton Starman again and it gives him a reason and significance for his short existance. A story of particular interest to read right now would be "Stars My Destination", since it has to do with Thom Kallor, the Starman in the current "Justice Society of America", and is a sort of prophecy of events currently going on.

-Nate-
Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
SpidermanGeek
Wednesday, July 04, 2007 2:21:20 PM
Groups: Guru, Marvel Host, Member
The Loners. I friggin' love this book. I wanna know everything that happens and I wanna see these third string superheroes evolve into whatever they are destined for. Phil Urich, Darkhawk, Julie Power, Turbo, Hollow, Riccochet, Martha Franklin... I love'em all!!

The art and the writing merge perfectly.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules, here.

I haz a Blog
Taino71
Wednesday, July 04, 2007 3:11:46 PM
Wanted!!!! I mean their making a movie out of it. I thought the book was kick ass. I once posted a thread asking what people thought of the series and no one replied.
"None of you understand, I am not locked in here with YOU, YOU are locked in here with ME!"
CosmicAvenger
Wednesday, July 04, 2007 4:48:01 PM
Groups: Beta, Characters Host, DC Host, Member
I might check out that Starman, sounds cool.

One book I think that didnt have nearly enough promo was Annihilation. The series that just finished and the ones coming look AMAZING with great cover and interior artists. If your a fan of cosmic characters at all, this is the book to be reading.

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
bigugly07
Wednesday, July 04, 2007 10:56:25 PM
CosmicAvenger wrote:

One book I think that didnt have nearly enough promo was Annihilation. The series that just finished and the ones coming look AMAZING with great cover and interior artists. If your a fan of cosmic characters at all, this is the book to be reading.

I second that.
Favorite Heroes:
IRON MAN
Thor
Captain America
Silver Surfer
Nova
Batman
Green Lantern
spartan616
Thursday, July 05, 2007 8:30:12 AM
Capekiller wrote:
The New X-Men.

Started out as juevenile, but has really grown into something better. Many of the characters have real potential and the artwork is great.
Rockslide is by far one of the best written characters in comics. Forget his powers and what not and listen to what he says. I can't help but laugh with every sentence. He has a very contemporary sense of humour.
As long as they don't supress the savage side, X-23 will be killer.
The return of one of my all time favourite characters, Magic is money. I mean, she is (was) the ruler of Limbo man!!!!
Kind of has that Degrassi Junior High/High appeal going.
Great book.

I couldn't agree more, I think New X-Men is one of the most underrated books available. It has had great art and the stories have been excellent. It's hard to find a book that has as much drama as New X-Men. It's one of my must haves titles. I also think Hunter-Killer should have gotten more attention. The first storyline just finished not too long ago and it was a good read. I think the delays it had between books caused it to lose steam towards the end. But it is definitely good paperback material.
Check out my tumblr blog! Just paste the link directly to your address bar.

shaolinsuckerpunch.tumblr.com