Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Comic Books » Back Issue Chit Chat
StreetNERD
Monday, August 27, 2012 6:25:53 PM
Groups: Member
avengers vs x-men an AVX vs are the only new comic i grab other then that its mostly DC back issues for the 80s,90s maybe sum 60s,70s i have not gone far back yet but i will Think
SHAZAM!!!!

follow me @ComicHeadTerry on Instagram
ComicReaderBatman
Monday, August 27, 2012 6:47:22 PM
I like the new X-men too. They should have more avengers x-men team ups when they aren't against each other
I wear a mask. And that mask, it's not to hide who I am, but to create what I am.
chrisbenes
Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:10:47 PM
I am currently waiting to receive Defenders 18 and 19...After which I will read issues 17,18 and 19 which is the 1st Wrecking Crew story.

Stopped buying new issues about a year ago to collect nothing but back issues. Love reading the older books.
ComicReaderBatman
Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:41:43 PM
chrisbenes wrote:
I am currently waiting to receive Defenders 18 and 19...After which I will read issues 17,18 and 19 which is the 1st Wrecking Crew story.

Stopped buying new issues about a year ago to collect nothing but back issues. Love reading the older books.

I 100% agree with the back issues. I just love back issues. Although some of the older ones like gold and silver age, they are worth the money. What kind of back issues do you have
I wear a mask. And that mask, it's not to hide who I am, but to create what I am.
StreetNERD
Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:46:01 PM
Yes back issues are the best its rare that new comics come out that i really want to read only if its DC then ill read it all but marvel not so much
SHAZAM!!!!

ComicReaderBatman
Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:57:18 PM
StreetNERD wrote:
Yes back issues are the best its rare that new comics come out that i really want to read only if its DC then ill read it all but marvel not so much

I agree. I don't know what it is about older comics but they are more enjoyable to read then new comics although i'll read both.

ukblueky
Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:29:34 PM
While I do enjoy reading current issues I do really enjoy my back issues more.The cack issues I'm reading at the moment are
Conan The Barbarian (Marvel).I started with my earliest issue which is 12 and am up to issue 86.Every issue has been great.Highly recommend.

Darkchylde.I have to say I am rather suprised by this title.I have owned these issues for years now but never read them till the other day.I didnt expect to like the story but find it entertaining.

Deathlok (Marvel M Tech vol. Four issues into this rather short run and I'm hooked.Too bad it didnt last past issue 10 or 11.The artwork compliments the dark, gritty story.
ComicReaderBatman
Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:32:41 AM
ukblueky wrote:
While I do enjoy reading current issues I do really enjoy my back issues more.The cack issues I'm reading at the moment are
Conan The Barbarian (Marvel).I started with my earliest issue which is 12 and am up to issue 86.Every issue has been great.Highly recommend.

Darkchylde.I have to say I am rather suprised by this title.I have owned these issues for years now but never read them till the other day.I didnt expect to like the story but find it entertaining.

Deathlok (Marvel M Tech vol. Four issues into this rather short run and I'm hooked.Too bad it didnt last past issue 10 or 11.The artwork compliments the dark, gritty story.

Wow that's a great run of Conan's. I'm currently reading a Batman mini series of Black Mask from back in the 90s.
chrisbenes
Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:12:22 AM
ComicReaderBatman wrote:
chrisbenes wrote:

I 100% agree with the back issues. I just love back issues. Although some of the older ones like gold and silver age, they are worth the money. What kind of back issues do you have

I started collecting in the mid 80's so I have large runs on certain Marvel titles from then on. I have a large Batman collection as that was the only DC book I grew up collecting. For the last year I've been filling in issues from the 60's and 70's that I do not currently have.

I would say some early X-Men and FF are among my most valuable books.
chrisbenes
Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:14:07 AM
ukblueky wrote:

Love the original run in Astonishing Tales
CrossbowComics
Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:32:58 AM
chrisbenes wrote:

Hi Chris, your Defenders are on the way. What's funny is when I was double checking those I wound up leafing through one of those Wrecking Crew issues, don't worry I was careful, lol.

One of my all time favorite stories was the first Byrne run in FF, the whole Galactus vs Sphinx storyline while the FF are fighting the effects of the Skrull aging ray. What's funny is when Byrne came back to the FF a year later with issue 232 his style had changed quite a bit, not sure what was up with that.

On Facebook - Treehouse Comic Shop
On the web -- TreehouseComicShop.com
ComicReaderBatman
Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:03:40 PM
chrisbenes wrote:
ComicReaderBatman wrote:
chrisbenes wrote:

I started collecting in the mid 80's so I have large runs on certain Marvel titles from then on. I have a large Batman collection as that was the only DC book I grew up collecting. For the last year I've been filling in issues from the 60's and 70's that I do not currently have.

I would say some early X-Men and FF are among my most valuable books.

WOW! that sounds awesome
StreetNERD
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:28:20 AM
bout to start my Doomsday death of superman
SHAZAM!!!!

StreetNERD
Friday, September 14, 2012 11:40:06 PM
I want to start Green Lantern and Flash back issues any ideas where to start (like what year,series,miniseries anything would help)Wall D'oh Think Nerd
SHAZAM!!!!

BurningDoom
Saturday, September 15, 2012 12:44:49 AM
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member
StreetNERD wrote:
I want to start Green Lantern and Flash back issues any ideas where to start (like what year,series,miniseries anything would help)Wall D'oh Think Nerd

I can't help you much on Flash, but I do know that the Mark Waid run in the 90s was pretty cool.

As for Green Lantern, it matters on what era you really want to get into:

If it's the Golden Age, then there's DC Archives, unless you've got a lot of dough to spend because Golden Age Green Lantern are some of the priciest issues out there. All-American Comics #16 is the first appearance of the original Green Lantern (Alan Scott), and then he gets his own self-titled comic (Green Lantern (vol. 1)) starting with #1, naturally.

If it's the Silver Age, then I'd suggest starting from the beginning: Showcase #22 (there are plenty of reprints if price is a problem) then of course Green Lantern #1 (vol. 2) and continuing from there. There are DC Archives of these, as well.

For Post-Crisis Green Lantern, then you need to start with Green Lantern (vol. 2) #193-#200 and Green Lantern Corps #201. These are essential for the changes that happen from the Crisis, and then the post-crisis set-up for the GL Corps. Then you need to immeadiatly read Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn (6-issue mini-series) which is Hal Jordan's Post-Crisis origin. Emerald Dawn II (also a 6-issue mini-series) is a nice add-on to it if you enjoy Emerald Dawn I, but not necessary. It's the Post-Crisis origin of Sinestro and Hal's first meeting with him.

If you're into Kyle Rayner, then Green Lantern (vol. 3) #46, #48-51, and #54 are absolutely essential issues. It shows the downfall of Hal Jordan as he's overtaken by Parallax then destroys the Green Lantern Corps and Guardians of the Universe. Followed by the origin of Kyle Rayner, and in issue #54 is the reason he REALLY decides to get responsible and become a hero.

And finally, if you want to just follow the modern Geoff Johns take on Green Lantern, then I'd start with Green Lantern: Rebirth #1-6 which re-introduces Hal Jordan and Guy Gardner as active Green Lanterns and returns Sinestro to the DC Universe as a major villain. After, just follow the superb Green Lantern (vol. 4) series which continues straight into the currently running Green Lantern (vol. 5) which was changed VERY little story and continuity-wise by the New 52 changes. The Secret Origin storyarc in Green Lantern (vol. 4) is supposedly the modern origin of Hal Jordan, but in reality it's more like the set-up to the Red Lanterns' introduction into the Green Lantern mythos.
Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
ComicReaderBatman
Sunday, September 16, 2012 2:16:42 PM
StreetNERD wrote:

I can't help you with either but I can help you with Batman and Justice League.
StreetNERD
Sunday, September 16, 2012 2:52:08 PM
ComicReaderBatman wrote:
StreetNERD wrote:

I can't help you with either but I can help you with Batman and Justice League.

then by all means share
SHAZAM!!!!

ComicReaderBatman
Sunday, September 16, 2012 3:41:00 PM
Well it all depends on what age in comics you want to go into. Here are some issues I can think of:

These are the first appearances

Batman #1 - 1st Joker and Catwoman
Batman #23 - Joker Cover
Batman #155 - 1st Silver Age Penguin
Batman #171 - 1st Silver Age Riddler
Batman #181 - 1st Poison Ivy
Batman #189 - 1st Silver Age Scarecrow
Batman #232 - 1st Ra's Al Ghul
Batman #234 - 1st Silver Age Two-Face
Batman #357 - 1st Jason Todd 1st Killer Croc
Brave and the Bold #28 - First Justice League of America
Detective Comics #27 - Very first Batman by Bob Kane
Detective Comics #31 - 1st Batarang and Batplane
Detective Comics #38 - First Appearence of Robin
Detective Comics #40 - 1st Clayface
Detective Comics #58 - 1st Penguin
Detective Comics #66 - 1st Two-Face
Detective Comics #140 - 1st Riddler
Detective Comics #156 - New Batmobile
Detective Comics #168 - 1st Red Hood/Origin of Joker
Detective Comics #225 - 1st Martian Manhunter
Detective Comics #230 - 1st Mad Hatter
Detective Comics #233 - 1st Batwoman/Origin of Batwoman
Detective Comics #267 - 1st Bat-Mite
Detective Comics #359 - 1st Bat Girl 2

Batman: Killing Joke
Batman: Year One

I would add some of my favorite and wish lists but these are what I think are key first appearances. Please add if anyone else has any ideas.
Raziel84
Sunday, February 24, 2013 4:54:15 AM
Let's see I am reading the 84 series of Moon Knight still need a few issues to finish it though and the original X-factor Deathstroke the Terminator and Man-Thing right now but I have to take frequent breaks to fill in the empty spots but thats half the fun right Dancing
aaus
Thursday, March 28, 2013 4:44:08 AM
I'm reading "Death in the Family" story arc (#44-47) of Peter Parker Spider-Man.

I'm a big fan of Humberto Ramos' art.
“Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.”