Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Movies » The MCU & The Kang/Jonathan Majors Dilemma

Poll Question: How should Marvel proceed?

• Recast the character
    42%
    3 vote(s)
  • Switch to a new villain
    42%
    3 vote(s)
  • Re-hire Majors
    0%
    0 vote(s)
  • Turn him into a cloud like Galactus
    0%
    0 vote(s)
  • Another alternative
    14%
    1 vote(s)

The MCU & The Kang/Jonathan Majors Dilemma

MoonKnight1
Monday, April 15, 2024 1:00:17 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I'm not going to delve into the reasons (I'm sure you already know) but Jonathan Majors will no longer be playing Kang the Conqueror in the MCU. Marvel is facing a dilemma: What are we going to do now?

As far as I can tell at this point there aren't any plans one way or the other that Marvel has decided upon publicly but speculation has been rampant. To me it seems that there are only two viable ways to proceed, either recast Kang or segue into a new threat.

1 - Recast

It has happened before. James Rhodes (Terrance Howard, Don Cheadle), Incredible Hulk (Eric Bana, Edward Norton, Mark Ruffalo) and Cassie Lang (Abby Ryder Fortson, Emma Fuhrmann, Kathryn Newton) have all been recast so why not Kang? Heck, even Thanos was recast as Josh Brolin took over for Damion Poitier.

2 - Switch to a different villain

I love Kang and all of the possibility that he brings to the MCU plus he is one of the very first villains to appear in comics even though he called himself Rama-Tut at the time, a fact which was revealed years later, and popped up as Kang shortly thereafter. It should be fairly easy to transition into another villain at this point considering that Kang has only really been in the Loki series and Ant-Man 3 so far. A good replacement would obviously be Dr. Doom since he has some relation to Kang already and hasn't been referenced in the MCU to the best of my knowledge. Maybe teased somewhere?

If not Doom then there are a number of other villains that could take over. Annihilus, Graviton, Mephisto, Korvac, Galactus to name a few.

3 - Rehire Jonathan Majors.

I don't think this will happen.

4 - Turn him into a Galactus Cloud.

This worked out great for FF2: Rise of the Silver Surfer, right?

5 - Some other idea that I was not clever enough to come up with?

Let me know what you think would/should happen!

Hall of Heroes Quote of the Week

"Don’t flee from yourself. If you have a quality, be proud of it, let it define you, whatever it is." - Pinhead (Hellraiser III)

Check out my eBay store here: Hall Liquidations
Thundercron
Wednesday, April 17, 2024 3:19:47 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Switch to a new villain, like Doom. Kang just isn't a threat at this point. How many times has he been defeated by B-list heroes by now?
pottersan
Wednesday, April 17, 2024 8:21:57 PM
Groups: Member, Subscriber, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
MoonKnight1 wrote:
I'm not going to delve into the reasons (I'm sure you already know) but Jonathan Majors will no longer be playing Kang the Conqueror in the MCU. Marvel is facing a dilemma: What are we going to do now?

As far as I can tell at this point there aren't any plans one way or the other that Marvel has decided upon publicly but speculation has been rampant. To me it seems that there are only two viable ways to proceed, either recast Kang or segue into a new threat.

1 - Recast

It has happened before. James Rhodes (Terrance Howard, Don Cheadle), Incredible Hulk (Eric Bana, Edward Norton, Mark Ruffalo) and Cassie Lang (Abby Ryder Fortson, Emma Fuhrmann, Kathryn Newton) have all been recast so why not Kang? Heck, even Thanos was recast as Josh Brolin took over for Damion Poitier.

2 - Switch to a different villain

I love Kang and all of the possibility that he brings to the MCU plus he is one of the very first villains to appear in comics even though he called himself Rama-Tut at the time, a fact which was revealed years later, and popped up as Kang shortly thereafter. It should be fairly easy to transition into another villain at this point considering that Kang has only really been in the Loki series and Ant-Man 3 so far. A good replacement would obviously be Dr. Doom since he has some relation to Kang already and hasn't been referenced in the MCU to the best of my knowledge. Maybe teased somewhere?

If not Doom then there are a number of other villains that could take over. Annihilus, Graviton, Mephisto, Korvac, Galactus to name a few.

3 - Rehire Jonathan Majors.

I don't think this will happen.

4 - Turn him into a Galactus Cloud.

This worked out great for FF2: Rise of the Silver Surfer, right?

5 - Some other idea that I was not clever enough to come up with?

Let me know what you think would/should happen!

the fix is way to easy.

Change to a different version of Kang; Immortus or Ramma Tut!

If I don't have what you need, please check out these other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, ComicVortex,The Goblin's Cavern, Manhattan on Mars, Edgewood Comics,Hall of Heroes

Please visit my wonderfully amazing eBay store for loose figures, CDs, DVDs and much more; Alpha Comics.

4saken1
Monday, May 06, 2024 12:43:11 AM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Recast. Alternate versions of him would look differently in other dimensions. There were plenty of different actors portraying alternate versions of Loki in his own series.
ComicVortex

Current specials:

Get some comics for 30% off
For every comic you purchase from our 'Bargain Bin' (those priced $1 or less), another comic purchased over $1 will be $30% off (refunded via PayPal). eg. If you purchase 10 'Bargain Bin' books, then 10 books purchased that are each over $1 will recieve this refund, etc.

Free Shipping

Domestic orders of 25 or more comics qualify for FREE SHIPPING (Media Mail). Priority Mail orders of 25 or more comics receive a $5 refund (Foreign or Domestic orders).
MoonKnight1
Thursday, May 09, 2024 8:59:30 AM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
That is a very good point. I'm also leaning towards them just recasting him. There is already a precedence set so why not?

You can't just ignore or explain away Loki and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania by adding a new villain so just get somebody else to do the job. John Boyega perhaps?

Hall of Heroes Quote of the Week

"Don’t flee from yourself. If you have a quality, be proud of it, let it define you, whatever it is." - Pinhead (Hellraiser III)

Check out my eBay store here: Hall Liquidations
jbeeman85
Thursday, May 09, 2024 2:50:36 PM
Groups: Member
I missed this when first posted but I chose
Recast.

For different reasons they already Recast Hulk, War Machine, and a couple others. Should not be a big deal to replace another one.

And now they have that whole multiverse deal introduced in Loki series and the last Dr. Strange movie.