Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Comic Books » Memorium?
Dementia5
Friday, January 11, 2008 12:04:57 AM
Groups: Beta, Guru, Member
This might appear to be over the top, but I thought it would be a nice tribute if we opened a discussion or a sticky or what-not for commemorating comic-book talent that has passed away. There have been some greats who have left us in recent years, and I'm thinking that some folks aren't aware of this... all of them are deserving of a thread where anyone and everyone could share their experiences with either his/her work or the individual themself. A quick bio to kick off their career would be fitting I would think.

Jack "King" Kirby, Dave Cockrum, Marshal Rogers, Gil Kane, Bill Everett, Wally Wood... the list is too long. I wish I had an update on Bill Mantlo.

Just having a cathartic moment.
"We make a pretty good team, even if we don't work together." - My son

We put the "RP" into RPG!

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

Make sure that you READ and UNDERSTAND the forum rules HERE

CosmicAvenger
Friday, January 11, 2008 3:12:43 AM
Groups: Beta, Characters Host, DC Host, Member
hey i'd love to see this happen

Make sure that you read and understand the forum rules here
spidey0vs0venom
Friday, January 11, 2008 9:31:56 AM
Groups: Member
Stuck

O and don't forget Mike Wieringo
punisherfan1138
Friday, January 11, 2008 12:57:14 PM
spidey0vs0venom wrote:
Stuck

Speaking of Mike Wieringo, there's an interesting story about him on The Punisher Archive.

Here's one of his last sketches.
epcomics
Friday, January 11, 2008 5:41:34 PM
Lest we forget Jack Cole, he took his own life at age 44.
www.jordanhackett.org

The_Ghost
Friday, January 11, 2008 5:56:25 PM
Groups: Guru, Media Host, Member
Jim Aparo was a favorite of mine. Loved his work on Batman in the 90's. I heard he died but I dont know of what.

Hey, true believers! Join your fellow comic book and sci-fi lovers on my NERD NATION Facebook page! Join us today and get your nerd on!
Nerd Nation
Jim
Friday, January 11, 2008 6:23:16 PM
punisherfan1138 wrote:
spidey0vs0venom wrote:
Stuck

Speaking of Mike Wieringo, there's an interesting story about him on The Punisher Archive.

Here's one of his last sketches.

Coooool.....Drooling
KingZombie
Saturday, January 12, 2008 11:42:42 AM
DrFate wrote:
Jim Aparo was a favorite of mine. Loved his work on Batman in the 90's. I heard he died but I dont know of what.

This is from his Wikipedia page:

"Aparo died early on July 19, 2005. Some reports attributed the cause of death to 'a long battle with cancer', but his family's formal announcement (through his art agent Spencer Beck) attributed his death to 'complications relating to a recent illness' and the AP obituary reported that 'Aparo died Tuesday at home after a short illness, said his daughter, Donna Aparo.'"

Dementia5
Monday, January 14, 2008 9:43:17 PM
I'd like to take some ownership of this thread, once I figure out how to go about it. SHould we post an obituary (or plural) of sorts, then post replies underneath ad infinitum... or separate threads for each member?

Suggestions are welcome.

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

icarus201
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:55:59 AM
Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, UK Host
How about making it a sub-forum? Then you could have a separate thread for every deceased creator. CCL members can post their condolences, reminiscences of that creators work, post examples of their favourite stuff by them, etc.
Marvel Universe® ~ No-one Ever Really Dies.

punisherfan1138
Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:23:55 PM
Do it! Do it! Do it!
Dementia5
Monday, February 18, 2008 11:30:51 AM
STEVE GERBER (1947 - 2007)

An American comi-book writer best known for his sardonic wit and an uncanny ability to fuse social satire with the less-absurd sensibilities of a younger comic-book reading public. He was diagnosed with an early stage of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis in 2007. He continued to work, however, during his hospitalization, being on the waiting list for a transplant at UCLA Medical Center.

On February 10, 2008, he died from complications related to this condition. He is survived by his estranged wife and one daughter.

His passing is keenly felt by fans of absurdist humor, and his influence among other writers in the field, particularly the independent market, is unquestionable.

He is best known for his work with Marvel Comics' Howard the Duck, Man-Thing and THe Defenders throughout the 1970s, but Gerber's catalog of work expanded into other forms of media. Noteworthy examples germane to this format include episodes of the animated G.I. Joe, Dungeons and Dragons and Thundarr the Barbarian, the last of which he created.

He also wrote several stories for Creatures on the Loose, Chamber of Chills, and Journey Into Mystery, and some humor pieces for Crazy, leading to an editor position for that satirical magazine for a time.

His catalog of works include :

Marvel Comics

Man-Thing • Shanna the She-Devil • Sub-Mariner • Daredevil • Crazy Magazine • Tales of the Zombie • Supernatural Thrillers: N'Kantu, the Living Mummy • Marvel Two-in-One • Adventure into Fear: Morbius, the Living Vampire • Son of Satan • Lilith, Daughter of Dracula • Defenders • Howard the Duck • Omega the Unknown • Marvel Presents: Guardians of the Galaxy • Void Indigo • Avengers Spotlight: Hawkeye • The Sensational She-Hulk • Poison • Foolkiller • The Legion of Night

DC Comics

Metal Men • Mister Miracle • Weird War Tales • The Phantom Zone • Doctor Fate • Nevada • A. Bizarro • Superman: Last Son of Earth • Hard Time • Zauriel

TV/Media

Codename: Strykeforce • Cybernary • Destroyer Duck • Eclipse Magazine • Exiles • Sludge
Television work

Thundarr the Barbarian • Dungeons & Dragons • G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero • Mister T • The New Adventures of the Puppy • Star Trek: The Next Generation - Contagion • Superman: The Animated Series • The New Batman Adventures

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

Chainsaw76
Sunday, March 02, 2008 12:13:48 AM
Steven Hughes R.I.P.This is kind of old & taken from wikipedia but he definitely deserves some props too.

Steven Hughes was an African American artist for the Chaos! Comics company. Hughes provided the art for many of the company's comics, including Lady Death, Evil Ernie, and the short-lived superhero series Detonator . He also helped to create the signature look of these characters.

Inspired by EC comics such as Tales from the Crypt, and especially EC artist Wally Wood, he began as an artist for various titles from Aircel.

Recognition
Hughes was among the artists in Wizard's top 10 list in 1995 and his work was featured on the cover of the 75th issuse.

In 1995, Hughes' art joined the Next Step, a traveling art show that featured mainstream African American comic book artists. "Next Step" was produced by Boston-based artist Rob Stull.

Hughes was recognized in 1999, during the Black History Month celebration at the Words and Pictures Museum in Northampton, Massachusetts, where he was there to provide feedback, illustration techniques and sketches for fans.

Death
Steven Hughes died on February 18, 2000, in Scottsdale, Arizona, after a long battle with cancer. Hughes was survived by his wife Barbara Hughes and his children Amber, Chance and Samantha.

The gene pool could use a little chlorine
spidey0vs0venom
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 9:54:49 PM
KingZombie
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 10:32:40 PM

I just read about this on Comics2Film. Sad news. But while he was taken too soon his mother said he was in terrible pain and said it was perhaps for the best. Rest in Peace, Dave.
Dementia5
Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:10:26 AM
What a loss. He had some of the most distinctive/memorable comic book covers in the business.

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

hedgeknight
Friday, March 14, 2008 5:34:09 AM
Dementia5 wrote:
What a loss. He had some of the most distinctive/memorable comic book covers in the business.

Been a fan for years and just read about his death in Newsarama this morning. In fact, was going to post a R.I.P. thread but saw this one and decided to check it first.
Nobody does a cover better than Dave!
Peace to him and his family.
-g-
Winter is coming...
Dementia5
Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:08:43 AM
Arthur C. Clarke
1917 - 2008

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20080319/sc_space/sciencefictionwriterarthurcclarkediesatageof90

Seems like a lot of the great ones are passing away.

www.neverdarklands.net

...Dementia 5 Blog...

KingZombie
Tuesday, April 01, 2008 9:33:01 PM
Jim Mooney
1919 - 2008

Artist on Spider-Man in the 70's among other titles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Mooney
icarus201
Tuesday, April 01, 2008 10:35:28 PM
Groups: Approver, CR-Policies, Forum Admin, Member, Moderator, Movies Host, Subscriber, UK Host
What a shame. Still at nearly 90 years old, he had a good long run at life. Jim Mooney was the regular inker of Amazing Spider-Man on the very first Spidey stories I ever read, around this period.

Marvel Universe® ~ No-one Ever Really Dies.