Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » The Water Cooler » Sports » Favorite Championship by a Team you root for that you witnessed

Favorite Championship by a Team you root for that you witnessed

MoonKnight1
Sunday, June 28, 2020 12:47:13 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I root for several different teams in a variety of sports and I'm assuming that a lot of you do as well. The teams I like haven't won a ton of championships but they have a few collectively. I have gotten to see a few of them on TV and a couple of times in person, minor league teams but still - I was there.

Which championship won by a team that you root for, that you saw either in person or televised, that was the most thrilling for you?

Howie's Saying of the Week

Can we all just get along? - Rodney King

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
MoonKnight1
Sunday, June 28, 2020 12:58:00 PM
Shop at My Store
For me it was the Redskins over the Broncos in Super Bowl XXII.

I wasn't extremely confident going in because I knew that Denver had an explosive offense and a darn good defense and the first quarter looked pretty bad. Doug Williams twisted his leg on a non-contact play and Jay Schroeder had to come in. They were down by ten (it could easily have been more) and I was getting nervous.

This was the strike shortened season where teams played with replacement players for three games. The Redskins were the only team that year to not have a player cross the picket line. That unity helped them I think and the rest was history.

Doug Williams threw 4 Touchdown passes in the second quarter and their defense stifled Elway and the Broncos. After halftime, Joe Gibbs went Joe Gibbs and handed the ball off to Timmy Smith for the rest of the game.

Man, what a rush! Daydreaming

pottersan
Sunday, June 28, 2020 1:44:01 PM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
The first Houston Rockets championship.

They went against the odds and against all the pundits.

If I don't have what you need, please check out these other great CCL Stores;
BlueMoon Comics, ComicVortex, Hall of Heroes

Please visit my wonderfully amazing eBay store for loose figures, CDs, DVDs and much more; Alpha Comics.

lcfrick
Sunday, June 28, 2020 9:26:24 PM
Groups: Member
2012 Baltimore Ravens for me.

So many moments that year that just made it feel like a team of destiny.

Art Modell passed away four days before the season began and the team wore patches all year to commemorate him.

Ray Lewis tore his triceps in week 6 and it was thought that would end his season and maybe even his career. Instead he announced he would return for the playoffs and that it would be his last ride (prompting hilarious billboards talking about how his last ride was going to end in Denver and then New England... not so much.)

The Ravens got off to their best start in franchise history, punctuated by the "Hey diddle diddle, Ray Rice up the middle" game against the Chargers with the famous/infamous 4th and 29 conversion on a dump-off to Ray Rice which led to the overtime forcing FG. (Unfortunately the Ravens would lose their next three games and after clinching their division in a week 16 win over the Giants, would rest their starters in a week 17 loss.)

Pulled off the upset against the #1 seed Broncos with one of the greatest games in NFL history, including the Rocky Mountain Rainbow 70 yards TD pass with less than a minute to go in the 4th quarter to tie the game and send it to overtime (and eventually double overtime where rookie kicker Justin Tucker would win the game).

Avenged the gutwrenching playoff loss to the Patriots in 2011 with a dominant second half in Foxboro. And not even Tom Brady trying to kick Ed Reed in the crotch was enough to slow the Ravens down.

And finally the epic lights out Super Bowl where the season long mediocre defense sealed the victory with a goal line stand against the 49ers.

Capped all off by Joe Flacco having the second best playoff run by a QB in the history of the NFL (to 1989 Joe Montana's run) with 11 TDs and no INTs and capturing Super Bowl MVP.
jbeeman85
Monday, June 29, 2020 9:01:10 AM
1998 Tennessee Volunteers football. First ever BCS Champions. So many awesome moments throughout the year.
MoonKnight1
Monday, June 29, 2020 1:02:02 PM
Shop at My Store
One of my runner ups would when the Richmond Braves defeated the Syracuse Mets in 1994 to win the International League (Class AAA Baseball).

It was a Best-of-5 series and I was at the second game which was in Richmond at The Diamond. Braves had won the first game and the series was going to New York for the final three games, if necessary.

Richmond was down 2 runs going into the 7th inning. The place was completely packed. It was a sold out show, standing room only. The parking lots were jammed with people as well as the sidewalk out front of the stadium. We all sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and the place was rocking!

Braves loaded the bases in the bottom of the inning and wouldn't you know it? Dude hits a Grand Slam Home Run! The crowd was in a frenzy, it was one of the wildest things I had ever been part of. High fives, fist bumps, hugs - I didn't know any of these people but it was amazing.

Couldn't see Game three because it was in Syracuse but I did listen to at on the radio at work. Pretty cool mini parade a few days later.

bluedevil2002
Monday, June 29, 2020 11:20:27 PM
The last time the Redskins were in the Super Bowl, I was old enough to be aware of it, but not old enough to care to watch football. So all I've known is misery, with that tease of what could have been. VT is famously 0-1 in the national championship. So, that pretty much leaves me with my high school championship in 1999. (Interestingly enough, the year that VT made it to the natty but lost, and the Redskins made the playoffs and lost in the second round. 1999 was good, but January 2000 not so much.)

The gold standard, though, that I compare all live game experiences, has to go for a non-championship game - Miami at VT, 2003. That stadium was so loud during pregame, I couldn't hear myself think. And I mean that literally. It was just a sheer wall of noise. And then we proceeded to rout the #2 team in the country.