Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Comic Book Talk » Comic Books » Comic Creators With Long Stints
MoonKnight1
Saturday, February 20, 2021 5:28:08 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Over the years it has been rare for a whole creative team to stay together for an extended period of time. John Byrne and Chris Claremont collaborated for several years and different titles (X-Men, Iron Fist, etc.); Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning also had a long partnership through numerous books.

But how about an individual artist or writer that has had a long tenure with the same book? Other people rotate in and out but there is one constant. That shows a lot of durability and flexibility and is the mark of a true Creator.

Did I say "mark"? Hmm, maybe I meant to say, "Mark". As in Mark Gruenwald.

He was one of the best comic book creators of all time. Not just a writer, he was absolutely a creator and Marvel Comics owes a lot to him. His 10 year stint on Captain America was and is a thing of beauty. Very short list. Crossbones. Serpent Society. USAgent. Capwolf.

So, can you think of any other artist or writer that has stayed on the same comic for a long time? I know a few more but why should I have all the fun? Devil

Howie's Saying of the Week

Change is supremely inconvenient, uncomfortable and naturally scary. Yet we only move through life through the process of change, reinvention and renewal - Christine Evangelou

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
lcfrick
Saturday, February 20, 2021 7:19:38 PM
Groups: Member
Maybe some cheap ones, but Dave Sim on Cerebus the Aardvark (300 issues) and Erik Larson on Savage Dragon (256+ issues).

In more of the spirit of the question (namely where the artist or writer didn't have any say in whether they were on the book), Sal Buscema had a 100+ issue run on Spectacular Spider-man. Likewise Ron Frenz had a 40+ issue run on Spider-girl immediately followed up by a 30 issue run on Amazing Spider-girl.
bluedevil2002
Saturday, February 20, 2021 10:22:32 PM
I'll throw the easy ones up here.

Writers:
-Dan Slott on Amazing Spider-Man for 153 consecutive issues, plus a decent chunk of the 100 issues prior to that.
-Chris Claremont on Uncanny X-Men for 186 or so issues the first go around.
-Geoff Johns on Green Lantern for at least 94 issues (Rebirth, 67 issues of the ongoing, and then 20 plus a 0 issue of the New 52 series). Not counting crossovers and spinoffs.
-Bendis on Ultimate Spider-Man for, um...I don't really know because Marvel math took over, but I know more than 100.

Artists:
-Jim Balent did every issue of Catwoman up to the end of No Man's Land, so that was 79 issues (counting the 0 and 1M ), although he did just do layouts for a couple of issues.

Now the fun comes in on creators who worked on the same character, but got shifted around to different or relaunched series.

I count 74 issues in Grant Morrison's Batman run, between Batman, Batman and Robin, two volumes of Batman Inc, plus the Return of Bruce Wayne mini, and The Return one-shot (counting the Leviathan Strikes issue as 2, because it should have been).

Spider-Man
Saturday, February 20, 2021 10:27:00 PM
Groups: Approver, Beta, CR-Management, Member, Subscriber
Two that come quickly to mind for me as a Spider-Man fan are Peter David and Brian Michael Bendis. Both created and had very long runs with Spider-Man.
bluedevil2002
Saturday, February 20, 2021 10:39:10 PM
Superman had some consistency in the late 80s and 90s, but it's hard to pin down numbers due to several folks being writer and artist (not always at the same time), shifting around the different series, and then numerous annuals and specials.

I'm pretty sure Dan Jurgens is at a minimum of 120 issues, and Jerry Ordway did at least 90 issues. If you count the Superman feature in Action Comics Weekly, Roger Stern gets to 100 issues. Louise Simonson wrote most of the first 86 issues of Man of Steel.
Thundercron
Sunday, February 21, 2021 1:38:31 AM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
I always considered Bill Mantlo to be the Brian Bendis of eighties Marvel, based on the sheer number of books he did. His crowning jewel, in my opinion, was writing all 75 issues of ROM, including all four annuals. It was very much his baby from start to finish. Not many other writers have had that opportunity over such a long period of time.
MoonKnight1
Sunday, February 21, 2021 2:21:19 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Wow, I don't think I knew that Mantlo did all of the ROM issues. Nice! Applause

Howie's Saying of the Week

Change is supremely inconvenient, uncomfortable and naturally scary. Yet we only move through life through the process of change, reinvention and renewal - Christine Evangelou

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations