Welcome Guest Active Topics
monidaw1
Monday, February 03, 2020 10:44:08 AM
Groups: Member, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Is too soon to start getting excited for the NFL next year? I'm thinking Redskins go 15-1 with Chase Young and the new 4-3 devastating everything they line up against.

You heard it here first!!!!!
200-1 odds so you can turn a little into a lot betting on them to go all the way now.
https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/03/redskins-200-1-to-win-sb-lv/

In the meantime, the XFL is back to entertain us until draft weekend!!!!!!

jbeeman85
Monday, February 03, 2020 11:03:19 AM
Groups: Member
Well, someone got that extreme blind fan faith going......Silly Silly Silly Silly

XFL ?
Go Battlehawks, I guess. Not really a nearby team to pull for. Weird that they're going to so many towns that already have NFL teams. Wonder if they would have went into other markets if the AAF wasn't already in some of those locations when they were getting the league together. If it lasts more than one season this time, wonder if they go bring in any of those AAF markets or any of the old XFL teams.

I watched the original XFL and enjoyed it. I went for Memphis Maniaxx being the instate team and all. I got a lot of the trading cards from then too. I think this time around has a better shot since ESPN is airing some of the games so they may actually report on it and won't treat it like a total joke.
lcfrick
Monday, February 03, 2020 10:25:35 PM
I looked over the roster and even though I recognized some names, I didn't really see anyone that made me want to root for that team. So geography it is. Go St. Louis Battlehawks, representing the great state of Illinois.

I got bored pretty quickly of the AAF because I wasn't able to really get into any of the teams. But I'll try again with the XFL and we'll see how it goes.
monidaw1
Tuesday, February 04, 2020 11:20:49 AM
Shop at My Store
Never go in blind, the Redskins have made some serious upgrades in coaching so the talent that was already there last year should be put in a better position this year by a couple coaches that have proven themselves to be able to do that and then factor in the miserable overall state of the NFC EAST competition, a probable beast getting drafted #2, the possible return of Trent Williams, even Josh Norman is possibly back under the guidance of the coach who had him performing at a high level.

The Specials teams are stacked and include the NFC Pro Bowl Punter and some return magic potential from sims. A solid snapper and field goal kicker.

Defense going 4-3 leaving the Bama Boys NOT getting double teamed if Chase Young is even close to the beast he's expected to be. Don't forget Sweat, another 1st round pick still developing and Ryan Kerrigan isn't done yet either. They have a great corner and Safety. Some strong young linebackers and DB's getting better and plenty of cap space to supplement.

The Offense has a Hall of Famer that's hit almost 2,000 yards in the last two years back, Guice who showed extreme threat potential when healthy last year and Bryce Love may turn out to be better than both of them if he's back in Heisman consideration form. The O lIne with Trent Williams back could be dominant again although I'd like to see them move on from Morgan Moses and all his penaltys. Recievers are stacked with a solid #1 in Scarey Terry and some solid youngsters getting better after break out rookie campains behind him. That just leaves the tight End Postion in question and talks are already scheduled with potential free agents announced today. QB looked better every outing and hopefully continues to improve and impress and if he faltersAlex Smith may be ready to step back into the lead.
MoonKnight1
Wednesday, February 05, 2020 12:03:58 PM
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Shop at My Store
Looks like it's already time to start a new NFL Offseason thread! Silly

As far as the XFL goes...

DC Defenders all the way, Yo!

We got Cardale Jones at QB!

Tyree Jackson at WR!

The three-headed rushing beast of Donnel Pumphrey, Jhurell Pressley and local boy Khalid Abdullah (James Madison) will pummel the rest of the league!

Defense will be formidable behind Brian Khoury out of Carnegie Mellon (Home of the Fighting Tartans!) and Hunter Niswander's 42 yard per punt average at Northwestern will be key to those field position battles!

Finally, Head Coach Pep Hamilton who is a noted Quarterback Guru will be bringing his fast paced and high octane offense to Audi Field to Shock and Awe the competition!

Anyone in for an XFL Pick 'em game? Tongue

Howie's Saying of the Week

It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow - Robert Goddard

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
MoonKnight1
Friday, February 07, 2020 12:13:01 PM
Shop at My Store
XFL WEEK 1

Seattle Dragons @ DC Defenders
Los Angeles Wildcats @ Houston Roughnecks
Tampa Bay Vipers @ New York Guardians
St. Louis Battlehawks @ Dallas Renegades

It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow - Robert Goddard

MoonKnight1
Friday, February 07, 2020 12:14:45 PM
Shop at My Store
DC Defenders (we need a football championship in the District! Daydreaming )
Houston Roughnecks
Tampa Bay Vipers
St. Louis Battlehawks (can't root for a team from Dallas Shame on You )

Silly Tongue Laughing Party Devil Winking

lcfrick
Friday, February 07, 2020 4:01:06 PM
Seattle Dragons @ DC Defenders Frankly between Eli Rogers and Matt Elam, no interest in the Defenders
St. Louis Battlehawks @ Dallas Renegades That's my team... I guess?
monidaw1
Friday, February 07, 2020 6:04:31 PM
Shop at My Store
Isn't the DC game at 2PM tomorrow on FOX? Sounds like perfect viewing while scanning comics between customers. No HULU needed if it's on FOX!!!!!! I turned HULU off since they jumped the rates $10 to $55 a month.
jbeeman85
Friday, February 07, 2020 6:33:14 PM
Sure, let's do this. Picking without even looking at rosters.

DC Defenders
Los Angeles Wildcats
New York Guardians
St. Louis Battlehawks
monidaw1
Saturday, February 08, 2020 2:34:21 PM
Shop at My Store
It's not until 5PM today. The 2PM game is tomorrow and neither seems to involve the DC team for some reason????

I guess if the game looks good it'll probably last until 8PM so the store may be OPEN late tonight if the viewing's good.

Which team has the QB that was working in a grocery store before playing for the Redskins in that game that knocked them out of the Playoff's 2 ywears ago? There's an article that listed 22 former Redskins playing in the XFL lurking around out there. I ejoyed watching Kurt Gouveia have a shot in the original XFL.

Let's go
DC Defenders
Houston Roughnecks (any team not in Dallas will work)
Tampa Bay Vipers
St. Louis Battlehawks (see Houston Roughnecks comments)

Game runnning late's going to mess up supper also. I bought the fancy Kraft cheese to make grilled cheese sandwiches for supper to go with a tub of mom's homemade chicken noodle soup she gave me this morning.
monidaw1
Saturday, February 08, 2020 5:07:32 PM
Shop at My Store
It looks like they're using real announcers this time instead of wrestling announcers telling me every play was the greatest ever!!!!!!!

Like the new kick off with everyone standing still until the ball is caught. No wrestling match like the old XFL.

Early 6 point lead on the deep pass score.
Going for 1 but don't get the extra point, thrilled to see kicking removed. They could have gone for 2 or 3 points instead of 1.

Another kick-off coming up.

No huddle since the coaches can talk into the helmets of the RB's, recievers and QB.

If you punt into the endzone or out of bounds inside the 35 the ball gets spotted at the 35 so more reason to go for it on 4th down sounds great if you aren't a punter for a living.

LA takes the lead with a 2 point conversion, I AM ENTERTAINED!!!!!

8-6 messing up my pick earlier but another kickoff coming up.
monidaw1
Saturday, February 08, 2020 6:50:50 PM
Shop at My Store
I liked that half.

Punters bouncing balls off their helmets, O-lineman catching passes and running for 1st downs, d-lineman making interceptions with their laps while sitting down, HUGE HITS blowing people up, big time catches, you only have to have 1 foot in bounds.

Clock stops on every play inside the last 2 minutes so more plays when it counts. On plays where the clock would have kept going in the NFL, there's a 5 second run off. No more kneeling to run out a clock!!!!

Houston has the lead back even after a kick out of bounds gave LA the ball on the Houston 45.

monidaw1
Saturday, February 08, 2020 8:18:57 PM
Shop at My Store
That was worth the time to watch. I missed most of the 3rd quarter due to a delicious disaster in experimental grill cheesing.

Apparently DC won as well so I'm picking perfect so far this year!!!!!!!! Must be an ignorance is bliss type thing since if I'd looked ahead of time I would have known LA has TWO former Redskin quarterbacks which would have had me pulling for them.

Only real question is why they didn't show the DC game here since that's our closest team? Fox Richmond went Michigan basketball, Indiana basketball, Houston XFL game today????

I would have thought with only 4 games a week they could have found a way to get all 4 on the air.

I liked how everyone had a mike. They had coaches miked while calling the plays in. They had the refs miked while making the calls and reviews giviing us great quotes like ref 1 "What do you want to call it?" ref 2 "Let's go with False Start". Now if we could just get a great big trash can close to the field, we could see what play the coach is calling on tv and beat out the calls to the defense on the trash can in time for them to cover them. That's how they do it in Houston isn't it? Trash can signal relay?

I still would have liked to see the DC game to see if they miked the guy making the Gatorade so we could see if it's the same guy the Redskins cut for stirring with a sleeve of cups last year. I can just imagine the comments "Where's the spoon?" "I'm sure the 80,000 viewers in the stadium and the MILLIONS watching at home will all be looking the other way for the next 30 seconds so let me improvise."
jbeeman85
Saturday, February 08, 2020 9:13:08 PM
The other game was on ABC.

Fox/FS1 and ABC/ESPN splitting the game broadcasts.

https://www.xfl.com/2020-schedule
monidaw1
Sunday, February 09, 2020 8:07:06 AM
Shop at My Store
Wall ABC DOESN"T DO FOOTBALL ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!

OSCAR,OSCAR,OSCAR,OSCAR,OSCAR,OSCAR,OSCAR,OSCAR,OSCAR,OSCAR,OSCAR,OSCAR, that's all I've heard from ABC morning news and Good Morning America for the last week. I sat thru the Michigan vs Michigan on FOX just to make sure I wouldn't lose the signal and miss the game at 2 trying to switch back to FOX on the antennae. Game runs late until 2:20 and then they started mentioning the XFL DEBUT ON FOX at 5PM during the post game talk prior to the Indiana game.

So I switched to IHEART RADIO's SLIPPERY WHEN WET (80's hair bands) to put a little pep in the step trying to get more comics scanned before the game at 5 when I could have been watching ABC. Waiting

Maybe Howie caught it and can update us on the status of the DC Gatorade Man.
lcfrick
Sunday, February 09, 2020 9:51:53 AM
Well, one of the big things the XFL was trying to do... they failed miserably at.

I recorded them on the DVR and saw they had the recordings at 3 hours. I didn't add any time because they said one of the biggest things they wanted to do in the XFL was speed up the games. Since the NFL is on average 3 hours... I figured I'd be safe with no extra recording time, right? Nope, missed the end of both games.

Also, one hilariously annoying moment from the first game on ABC, they kept showing the under 2 minute time rules, that is the play ends in-bounds, then the clock is stopped, there's a 5 second run-off, and then the clock runs after the ball is set. Except they didn't do any of that during the first game. Then during the second game on Fox, they showed the REAL under 2 minute time rules, which is just the clock is stopped after the play ends in-bounds and restarted after the ball is set. Which is the same as the rules outside of the 2 minutes. (So the only difference for under 2 minutes is the clock stays stopped after an incomplete pass or the ball carrier goes out of bounds.)

But that was the bad. The good thing is the kickoff and after TD attempts were absolutely amazing. There was both a minor and a major touchback between the first two games and it looks like the new set-up did a really good job of forcing returns, while not increasing the chance of injuries. And the attempt after TDs add a completely new dynamic to the game. You can no longer just rely on a strict set of rules to determine what to do. It's all about what you think you can get.

And I think I may turn out to be a Houston Roughnecks fan, because P.J. Walker was awesome yesterday.
monidaw1
Sunday, February 09, 2020 2:25:21 PM
Shop at My Store
I think they said there was a 25 second play clock instead of a 40 second play clock between plays so that alone should force more total plays per game giving it a faster pace. There's a guy with a ferret carrier bag whose only job is to spot a new ball after every play.

There's only two timeouts per team also instead of 3 so that's two less times the clock stops per game.

I love the no extra point kick thing. I was hoping they'd taken field goals out also but apparently kickers are still employed. I've been on the get the kickers out of the game bandwagon since Joe Gibbs spoke out for getting the kickers out of the game back in the 80's.

I haven't heard about any overtime rules yet. Hopefully it's both teams get the ball at least once.
----5PM update------------
That game wasn't as good as yesterdays. Houston and LA both looked better than either of NY or Tampa. Idid see a Tampa tightend making a one handed beauty of a catch while getting slammed by a db so maybe if he keeps showing like that he'll get a tryout with the Skins. They could use a good tightend in about 13 weeks or so from now. I think they said Tampa kept 8 receivers so hopefulley he want get too much wear and tear as bad as they looked today.

That does it for this week. It appears ESPN is holding the 4th game hostage so we can't see it for free now that HULU is turned off.
MoonKnight1
Tuesday, February 11, 2020 11:44:17 AM
Shop at My Store
XFL WEEK 1

Results and Standings

Seattle Dragons @ DC Defenders
St. Louis Battlehawks @ Dallas Renegades

MoonKnight1 - 3-1
lckfrick - 3-1
jbeeman85 - 3-1
monidaw1 - 3-1

Well, that's parity for you! Laughing

The only unanimous pick was Battlehawks over Renegades so it looks like we all hate Dallas. Tongue

To be completely honest, I actually like their logo. Kind of looks like the Old Western Ghost Rider from Marvel.

Some of the highlights from Week 1 to me was the streaker, the puker, Jim Zorn, the kickoff rules, one guy getting ejected for punching another player in the face, the fan in DC wearing a Redskins jersey with the name SELLTHETEAM and the jersey number $$ Rolling on the Floor ...

I didn't watch a whole game, just bits and pieces of a couple of them. It was interesting. The talent level seems to be right in between the pros and college which is appropriate. I'm thinking about getting a few people together and heading up for a game.

MoonKnight1
Tuesday, February 11, 2020 11:46:34 AM
Shop at My Store
XFL WEEK 2

New York Guardians @ DC Defenders
Dallas Renegades @ Los Angeles Wildcats
Tampa Bay Vipers @ Seattle Dragons
St. Louis Battlehawks @ Houston Roughnecks