Welcome Guest Active Topics
CCL Messageboard » Collecting » Collecting, General Discussion » COMICUNIVERSITY'S TOP 25 MOST VALUABLE THINGS IN MY COMIC AND COMIC RELATED COLLECTIONS

COMICUNIVERSITY'S TOP 25 MOST VALUABLE THINGS IN MY COMIC AND COMIC RELATED COLLECTIONS

4 pages: [1] 2 3 4
comicuniversity
Sunday, May 03, 2020 5:37:25 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator
Joined: 4/18/2012 | Posts: 2,156 | Points: 7,243
I don't usually go in for things like this but thought it might be a fun thing to give people to read and look at during this quarantine time.

So, I have an enormous collection of comics and comic related things in my collection. I have, so far, valued a very small fraction of the overall collection, so this list is super premature.

However, I can definitely come back and update it from time to time as I make progress on my valuing project.

OK....so the values really only come from two sources, as I am not seriously considering selling any of this any time soon. Most of it comes from the most recent Overstreet but some comes from an average of recent Ebay sales.

AT any rate....I will start today with the 25th most valuable thing that I have thus far valued.

Any comments or questions are definitely welcome. really just looking for a distraction for myself and others.
MoonKnight1
Sunday, May 03, 2020 5:53:01 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Location: Richmond, VA
Joined: 5/24/2010 | Posts: 8,002 | Points: 34,120
Shop at My Store
comicuniversity wrote:
I don't usually go in for things like this but thought it might be a fun thing to give people to read and look at during this quarantine time.

So, I have an enormous collection of comics and comic related things in my collection. I have, so far, valued a very small fraction of the overall collection, so this list is super premature.

However, I can definitely come back and update it from time to time as I make progress on my valuing project.

OK....so the values really only come from two sources, as I am not seriously considering selling any of this any time soon. Most of it comes from the most recent Overstreet but some comes from an average of recent Ebay sales.

AT any rate....I will start today with the 25th most valuable thing that I have thus far valued.

Any comments or questions are definitely welcome. really just looking for a distraction for myself and others.

Great idea, Jeff! Keep 'em coming!

Howie's Saying of the Week

Can we all just get along? - Rodney King

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
comicuniversity
Sunday, May 03, 2020 8:36:45 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator
Joined: 4/18/2012 | Posts: 2,156 | Points: 7,243
Thanks Howie!

I aquired that comic back when i was a kid. As punishment one time my dad took all my comics and mashed them away somewhere.

I ended up forgetting all about them until i was in my 30s. My parents were downsizing and they returned my punishment comics after randomly finding them in a crawlspace. It was a real funny suprise.

If only he hadnt mashed them away and destroyed the condition on this one it might be higher on my list.
comicuniversity
Monday, May 04, 2020 10:42:38 AM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator
Joined: 4/18/2012 | Posts: 2,156 | Points: 7,243
#25 MOST VALUABLE PIECE OF MY COLLECTION

ALPHA FLIGHT Vol. 1 #33 IN 7.0 FINE/VERY FINE CONDITION
VALUED AT $8.00





I admit, I am a VERY strict grader. Most would probably have this one valued higher.
comicuniversity
Monday, May 04, 2020 10:44:09 AM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator
Joined: 4/18/2012 | Posts: 2,156 | Points: 7,243
There is no really cool story behind acquiring this one.

My daughter and girlfriend and I go to our favorite LCS every other week. they get new comics and I scour the back issue bins. He had just added, earlier that day, a stack of Alpha Flights, many of which hit my wish list. This was one of them.
lcfrick
Monday, May 04, 2020 1:37:26 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member
Joined: 9/29/2014 | Posts: 1,161 | Points: 4,358
This a fun thread so far, it really got me thinking about about what my list would look like too!
comicuniversity
Tuesday, May 05, 2020 11:12:27 AM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator
Joined: 4/18/2012 | Posts: 2,156 | Points: 7,243
lcfrick wrote:
This a fun thread so far, it really got me thinking about about what my list would look like too!


Glad you are enjoying it. Right now, it's a very slow moving(you will notice by the alphabetical arrangement of the list that I have done a very small fraction) vanity project.

I do plan to sell the whole collection in retirement to give me something to do so at some point there will be a practical purpose. That is decades away, though.
comicuniversity
Tuesday, May 05, 2020 11:15:28 AM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator
Joined: 4/18/2012 | Posts: 2,156 | Points: 7,243
#24 MOST VALUABLE PIECE OF MY COLLECTION

AIRBOY #5 IN 8.5 VERY FINE + CONDITION.
VALUED AT $9.00





There is no story to go with this one.i honestly don't remember exactly how this one was added to my collection.
Again, this is a gorgeous copy. I am just a really conservative grader.

comic clint
Tuesday, May 05, 2020 11:17:05 AM
Rank: Celestial
Groups: Member, Moderator, Super Hero Showdown Host, Super Seller
Location: That Place Thats Always Been
Joined: 1/31/2007 | Posts: 3,351 | Points: 10,874
Shop at My Store
I love this topic and I get to look at cool comics!!! and Here the history!!!
YOU CAN CHECK OUT MY WORK AND CONTACT ME FOR ART HERE

THE PRECIOUS PRESENT IS A GREAT BOOK THAT YOU SHOULD READ SOMEDAY SOON
-clint yeager, Professional Sketch Card Artist- Upper Deck, Unstoppable Cards, Viceroy, Monsterwax, Marty and Boo's Cards, ID Art Cards, Cult Stuff
MoonKnight1
Tuesday, May 05, 2020 4:14:19 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Location: Richmond, VA
Joined: 5/24/2010 | Posts: 8,002 | Points: 34,120
Shop at My Store
comicuniversity wrote:
There is no really cool story behind acquiring this one.

My daughter and girlfriend and I go to our favorite LCS every other week. they get new comics and I scour the back issue bins. He had just added, earlier that day, a stack of Alpha Flights, many of which hit my wish list. This was one of them.

What do you mean that's not a cool story? Wow, your daughter and girlfriend go to the comic shop with you. That's amazing.

My daughter used to go with me 10-15 years ago and she would stock up on manga. She doesn't go anymore, or not with me anyway. My girlfriend has never been in a comic shop as far as I can remember. I'm happy for you my friend! Fantastic! Applause

Howie's Saying of the Week

Can we all just get along? - Rodney King

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
bluedevil2002
Tuesday, May 05, 2020 9:04:40 PM
Rank: Watcher
Groups: Member
Location: Chesterfield, VA
Joined: 7/19/2010 | Posts: 737 | Points: 7,853
MoonKnight1 wrote:
My girlfriend has never been in a comic shop as far as I can remember


Has she ever been in your house? Laughing
comicuniversity
Wednesday, May 06, 2020 12:31:49 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator
Joined: 4/18/2012 | Posts: 2,156 | Points: 7,243
MoonKnight1 wrote:
comicuniversity wrote:
There is no really cool story behind acquiring this one.

My daughter and girlfriend and I go to our favorite LCS every other week. they get new comics and I scour the back issue bins. He had just added, earlier that day, a stack of Alpha Flights, many of which hit my wish list. This was one of them.

What do you mean that's not a cool story? Wow, your daughter and girlfriend go to the comic shop with you. That's amazing.

My daughter used to go with me 10-15 years ago and she would stock up on manga. She doesn't go anymore, or not with me anyway. My girlfriend has never been in a comic shop as far as I can remember. I'm happy for you my friend! Fantastic! Applause


My daughter now has about a long box worth of her own comics and a whole corner of her room for marvel collectibles. She is a big fan. My girlfriend has accumulated about 2 long boxes worth but just lets me absorb it into my own collection when she is done reading. The owner of the LCS loves us. Great guy too. We like giving him our business. We have three other comic stores closer to us but he has earned our loyalty.

Vortex comics in wauwatosa, WI if you are ever up here.
comicuniversity
Wednesday, May 06, 2020 12:35:38 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator
Joined: 4/18/2012 | Posts: 2,156 | Points: 7,243
#23 MOST VALUABLE PIECE OF MY COLLECTION

ANIMAL CRACKERS #31 IN 2.0 GOOD CONDITION
VALUED AT $9.00




This is definitely a stock image. My copy ain't that nice.
comicuniversity
Wednesday, May 06, 2020 12:37:45 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator
Joined: 4/18/2012 | Posts: 2,156 | Points: 7,243
This is the single hardest to find thing I have in my entire collection. I hunted for about half a year.
I posted on boards. Scoured ebay and other online vendors and auction houses. i put it on watch lists for every store that had a watch list. Hunted at shows and brick and mortar stores.

Finally, a big boy collector up in Canada (whose name I have forgotten) called me one day saying he had gotten one.

I couldn't send him the money fast enough. Half a year of searching! I was so happy to get this one in my hands.
MoonKnight1
Wednesday, May 06, 2020 12:55:41 PM
Rank: Beyonder
Groups: Forum Admin, Guru, Member, Moderator, Sports Host, Super Seller
Location: Richmond, VA
Joined: 5/24/2010 | Posts: 8,002 | Points: 34,120
Shop at My Store
bluedevil2002 wrote:
MoonKnight1 wrote:
My girlfriend has never been in a comic shop as far as I can remember


Has she ever been in your house? Laughing

Oops, forgot about that! Blush D'oh

Howie's Saying of the Week

Can we all just get along? - Rodney King

Check out my eBay store: Hall Liquidations
comicuniversity
Friday, May 08, 2020 10:44:57 AM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator
Joined: 4/18/2012 | Posts: 2,156 | Points: 7,243
BREAKING NEWS!!! A NEW ITEM HAS JOINED THE TOP 25!!!!

An adjustment has been made. A new item has pushed it's way into my top 25 as my logging job continues.
comicuniversity
Friday, May 08, 2020 10:47:33 AM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator
Joined: 4/18/2012 | Posts: 2,156 | Points: 7,243
#22 MOST VALUABLE THING IN MY COLLECTION

ANIMAL CRACKERS #31 IN 2.0 GOOD CONDITION
VALUED AT $9.00




So, less than a week after acquiring my first Animal Crackers #31, the hardest to find item I have ever purchased, another online retailer that I had put it on my watchlist dinged that they had added it.
I bought it immediately and now own 2.
comicuniversity
Monday, May 11, 2020 11:35:27 AM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator
Joined: 4/18/2012 | Posts: 2,156 | Points: 7,243
#21 MOST VALUABLE THING IN MY COLLECTION

ACTION COMICS #497 IN 9.0 VERY FINE/NEAR MINT CONDITION
VALUED AT $10.00





I really set a collection goal of getting a run of 100 straight Action Comics from #500 to 600. After I achieved that, I just kind of kept working backwards one at a time. This one was probably ordered online I'm thinking.
comicuniversity
Wednesday, May 13, 2020 2:08:53 PM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator
Joined: 4/18/2012 | Posts: 2,156 | Points: 7,243
# 20 MOST VALUABLE ITEM IN MY COLLECTION

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #324 IN 8.5 VERY FINE+ CONDITION
VALUED AT $10.50




This is another one I picked up at our preferred LCS while my ladies were getting their new books.
comicuniversity
Friday, May 15, 2020 10:23:44 AM
Rank: Herald of Galactus
Groups: Member, Moderator
Joined: 4/18/2012 | Posts: 2,156 | Points: 7,243
#19 MOST VALUABLE ITEM IN MY COLLECTION

ALIEN VOL.1 #2 IN 8.5 VERY FINE + CONDITION
VALUED AT $10.50





This one I had before I went to college. It didn't go into the collection my dad smashed up and returned years later. I have carried this one through college and beyond. Pretty sure I bought it in a comic shop in downtown Chicago decades ago.

FYI...This is a stock image. I don't know what that yellow sticker is on the image.
Users browsing this topic
Guest
4 pages: [1] 2 3 4

Forum Jump

Access

You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS

This page was generated in 0.308 seconds.
(0.156 seconds)

All images on comic collector live copyright of their respective publishers. © Copyright 2015, MidTen Media Inc. P-WIN-IIS01